IGNORED

1st gen throttle cable replacement

Guest Dave Rogge

Guest Dave Rogge

My 83 VR needs new throttle cables. How much disassembling is required to do it? Do I need to pull the battery and airbox to do it, or is there some slick trick I'm not seeing? Initially, I'm just doing the cables running from the twist grip.

Thanks

Dave,

I will mention, from some headaches, that you want to be able to get at everything. For me it's easier to pull the front fairing as the junction point is buried behind the left side inner fairing panel. There might be a way to sneak your hands in there, but I want all the room I can get to play with something like that. If your bike has the factory cruise control, pay very close attention to how it all comes apart. Take your time and if you get frustrated, walk away from it for a while.

If you run into any issues and need some help, my number is in my profile.

What he said.....................aint no shortcut to it.................:bang head::bang head:

Dave,

I will mention, from some headaches, that you want to be able to get at everything. For me it's easier to pull the front fairing as the junction point is buried behind the left side inner fairing panel. There might be a way to sneak your hands in there, but I want all the room I can get to play with something like that. If your bike has the factory cruise control, pay very close attention to how it all comes apart. Take your time and if you get frustrated, walk away from it for a while.

If you run into any issues and need some help, my number is in my profile.

Picture attached.

It is the rectangular gizmo, under the red wire by a couple of inches.

Only realistic way to get at it is remove outer & inner fairings on left side.

Gary

Edited by dingy

Guest Dave Rogge

Thanks for the info guys. I assumed that it wouldn't be simple, as nothing else with this old girl is! It does have factory cruise control. The old cables are stretched so far that the cruise will only work for 10 sec. or less. Can't get the slack out of them through the adjusters. I'm trying to eliminate the problems associated with my non working cruise control, and this is a step along the way.

I'll probably wait till winter to tear it apart. I've got some plastic repairs to the fairing to be made. Possibly smite two birds with one rock?

Thanks for the info guys. I assumed that it wouldn't be simple, as nothing else with this old girl is! It does have factory cruise control. The old cables are stretched so far that the cruise will only work for 10 sec. or less. Can't get the slack out of them through the adjusters. I'm trying to eliminate the problems associated with my non working cruise control, and this is a step along the way.

I'll probably wait till winter to tear it apart. I've got some plastic repairs to the fairing to be made. Possibly smite two birds with one rock?

If it is an 83, I don't think cruise was avaliable that year.

Someone may have added it later, takes a lot of modifications to add one to an 83. Been there done that.

Gary

The old cables are stretched so far that the cruise will only work for 10 sec. or less.

Are you sure it's the cables causing the disengage? A number of us have had issues with the switch on the clutch lever knocking cruise out. Try holding the lever out against the stop with your fingers and see if that doesn't make a difference. This 30 second test is better than ripping the fairing off. :080402gudl_prv:

Guest Dave Rogge

My 83 VR is a late year model, and does have factory cruise control. It has several parts that are listed for 84 models (Choke control, front brake switch). I have already done the clutch lever fix, and that added a few more seconds of function to the cruise control. I assume that all the slack in the throttle cable must be having some effect on the CC.

having taken my carbs out a number of times and I rarely used the Cruise. I removed mine, vacuum actuator and cable. Now I can change the cables in a bit shorter time. The trick is separating the cables at the twist grip. Then you get some slack. But since you have multiple items you are checking. THEN Stay with removing the left side plastics. As it will give you a better view of things.