IGNORED

My Confession - I'm Not the Typical Rider.

Ky. Rider

I like the large sweeping curves but also do not like the "twisties". When I am on tight turns I will take them at my speed. When I ride with my brother, who loves tight turns, we just agree that at some point he will wait for me to catch up.

2yr ago my buddy and I went the Cherola Skyway route from Knoxville to Bryson city, then went our seperate ways. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Last year we had heard about the Dragon so much figured we needed to check it out. So we came back that way. It was neat, we definatly went at our own speed. Iwas comfortable with my abilities on the 900 I had at the time. This year we have elected to go back to the Skyway. Not sure how cofortable I am on my tight curves ability with the RSV but I will feel alot better about the skyway. 28 up that way is a neat road too. I think they call it Moonshiner 28. Like one fella said after riding the Dragon he was wore out. I felt kinda that way too. Couldnt really see anything because you are (or should be) concentrating on the road at hand.

With as many other roads in that area that come highly recomended, surely you dont think your the only one that like the more leasurley ride right?:confused24:

I live in deer counrty also, and like sight distance. Not as interested in tight, repetitive twisties as I once was. But they are not off the table entirely yet. Though at different speeds than in years past. Give me mountain scenery and I'm most happy.

Green River Cove road in NC near Saluda is a hoot. Steep, tight, and slow. Although the inside, up hill lane will give you a thought or 2 on the switch backs

I have to ask. What road and where is this Dragon? (I have to get out of Northern NY more)

I have been reading, with considerable interest, the posts concerning the various riding styles of different members. My 86 has an attached sidecar because that is the only way I can persuade my wife to accompany me on the bike. She is frightened of having "another accident".

We were attending a meeting of the Cavilcade Owners Group in Fulton, NY, one Saturday morning, in the late fall. The weather was cold and there was a chance of a rain/snow mix that day. We drove the car to our designated restaurant and had a great time until the remainder of the group talked us into going for a bike ride. Went home, got the bike, came back and away we went.

As you can imagine the weather did turn bad with a snow and rain mix that made the ride less than enjoyable. Curvy roads are always better, for an afternoon ride, and our leader took us on some of Oswego County's best.

All was well until cresting a hill, in a reversed banked right hand curve, only look down and see most of the group stopped at an intersection, about 100 yards below. Not a panic situation but one that called for some firm braking and alert operation due to the weather. No sooner had I started to apply the brakes when the bike went down on the right side like flipping a pancake.

Neither one of us was injured but the bike sustained $3,800.00 worth of damage and was out of commission for the entire winter. Rode it home in the spring, polished the chrome and sold it, as Carol refused to ride under any circumstances. The accident scared some of the other wives and the group gradually shut us out, I suppose to eliminate the reminder?

Staying within your comfort zone can not only make a ride more enjoyable but can potentially save your life!! If you take the responsibility for leading a group of riders, be prepared to accommodate the the slowest participants. Group riders, if you know that the leader is prone to dragging the pegs, opt out if that is not your style!! Do not try to persuade anyone to go along by shaming them because of their riding style.

Our style is our style, our comfort zone is our safest operating format, stay in there and enjoy without any regrets that your pegs still have the end caps.

Some things are too easy. Type "the dragon" into google and there you go.

As it turns out I will now see the dragon next year. The Cheoah is on my paddling list. Directions to the put in,"from the Texaco/Subway in Robbinsville drive 17 miles north on US 129 to the designated paddler take out at Calderwood Lake. Back track about 7.5 miles to a right turn to the dam."

Funny how my hobbies can overlap.