IGNORED

is '97 Royalstar suspension adjustable?

I'll be taking delivery tomorrow on my '97 Royalstar tour classic with approx 28k miles on it, super clean.

From all I've read, its a great bike, but the suspension needs firming up so the handling is not so 'wallowy' However, I've been unable to find anything regarding suspension adjustments/settings for this particular year (except one link that stated there were no adjustments available for '97s) this can't be true, can it? This is my 1st full size cruiser, and i will be doing a lot of two-up riding. I am about 195lbs with gear on, and my GF with gear is close to 160lbs so obviously soft suspension will be less than desireable for handling. I know its not a bike meant for aggressive riding or massive lean angle, but I don't want to be scraping floorboards on every turn either. Thanks for any tips!!

I don't know about the 97 but the 96 is adjustable. The rear shock has a spring preload adjustment. The shock itself is gas filled. If you look under the bike, you can't miss the one big cylinder in the middle in front of the rear wheel. There are 2 slotted rings on the shock toward the rear of the bike. The ring the closest to the rear is the locking ring and the inside one is the spring adjuster. The original toolkit under the seat would have the spanner wrench that fits that locking ring and adjuster. Clockwise increases tension. The locknut is on by torque to 18 lbs which is about 1 finger on a regular wrench with bent elbow if you don't have a torque wrench. :080402gudl_prv: :TEAL:

:welcome:

Welcome to the madhouse. I have a '96 RSTC myself. They are great bikes, even if they are almost old enough to vote!! I'm still working on all that I want to do with mine. This place is great for finding out anything you want to know about the Royal Stars.

HAVE FUN!!