Last night after riding my '83 VR about 8 miles and watching my gas gage go from 3 bars to empty, I thought I better investigate. I pulled the cover off of the breather box so I could see the carbs. I noticed that when I rev the engine up that the slides are not moving very much. I can also see a lot of gas on top of the butterflies. I guess my question is, how much should the slides move? It seems to run very well out on the road but now I wonder how much better is should run. When I first crank it up after setting over night, it takes a few minutes for it to start hitting on all cylinders. This may be due to flooding. It starts very easy with no choke. I have checked the diaphragms and don't see any pin holes but they are very wrinkled looking. I really need help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by lwinders

I've checked the diaphragms up against a light and didn't see any holes but I'll look again. At about 3000 rpm they moved maybe and 1/8 of an inch. They were not all moving the same though. I haven't had the carbs sinced yet. Where should I check as possible vaccume leaks? And is it normal to see gas pooling on top of the butterflies?

I could not see any holes in mine but replaced them anyways. And suddenly my bike will take and hold a Carb sync. IT also runs better than it ever has since I bought it 4 years ago. I believe it was leaking around the edge or the center as they came off easily during replacement and the new ones went on hard sealing tight between the two plastic rings on the slider.

You can get a leak around the rings on the slider.

You shouldn't see the gas if things are normal. You will be able to see it spray into the throats They could be way out of sync. Is one of them opening a lot more than others?You can prop the slides open without it running. Don't use anything you could drop down in there!! play with throttle and try to see if carbs are opening at the same time. This is hard to do if you are not familiar with how they work.

As far as one slide moving more than the others, it's hard to tell because they are moving such a small amount. I'm sure they are out of sync. When I had the carbs off, I adjusted them so all the butterflies were opening at the same time. I haven't checked them again after putting them back on. Where can I buy new diaphragms? I really don't want to pay to have the carbs synced until I know everything is working correctly. Maybe this is the wrong way to go about it.:confused24:

Woody mounted my new tires for me. He's really busy and I hate to waist his time asking questions. I'm trying to keep the expence down as much as possible so I'm tyring to do as much as I can before taking it to him to sync the carbs.