IGNORED

2011 1700 kaw voyger

warriorhoneybee

well Mike told me he had a 2011 1700 voyger with 6212 miles for $13,900.00. my second gen has 71120 miles on it and I've had it for two years and not sure of the maintenance records. having said that this kaw is a one owner and only one year old. I'm not familiar with the Vulcan-voyger 1700 cc but know there 1600,1500,900 are pretty much bullet proof.has anyone here have any knowledge of this bike? i know it doesn't have a CB or a tape deck but it seems to be a fairly nice ride.

Edited by warrior/honeybee

Guest scarylarry

OK, Tires..Rear is a odd size 170/?/16 I just change and went with a 180-65-16 habdles great and lots of room to spare..

6 speed not a lot of difference than the 5 in RSV both are OD's, there is loud clunk from 1st to 2nd and less but some to 3rd and then it goes away, nature of the beast...

There is a heat issue on them Kaw did add a fan mod in the 2012 I have yet to feel it and I rode to tampa fl. but that is me...

The passenger seat sucks, they better be thin if you use a back rest, which the only one that will fit is a grasshopper others you have to cut to install, never figure that one out..

The driver seat TOSS it and add after market do not get the Kaw gel padded seat it doesn't fit that well and not that soft either...

Foot pegs can be tricky installing since there is little clearance between the faring and the crash bar..

CB don't do it, the antenna sticks up higher and then the radio which if you get this take the nut out of the rear for ant and add a lock washer Kaw didn't and they known to fall off, 300.00 to replace..

Trunk space lot more than the RSV..

Saddle bags they are narrow but will surprise you on storage..

Power the RSV will eat it up V-4 vs a V-twin..

EFI compare to well tune carbs not much if any difference..Mileage around 40 mpg..

Radio is ok like RSV you can add rear on for around 250 off ebay and the are factory OEM it is prewire under the seat...Simple

Front lights will make road look day light I never road one that lights up like this..

It has it quirks like they all do and some can be mod and some can't look at the control closely they are different than the RSV by long shot horn sucks sounds pig with ba**s caught in a vise and the button location sucks...

Cruise control holds real good but again the buttons sucks...

Anything else?

well Mike told me he had a 2011 1700 voyger with 6212 miles for $13,900.00. my second gen has 71120 miles on it and I've had it for two years and not sure of the maintenance records. having said that this kaw is a one owner and only one year old. I'm not familiar with the Vulcan-voyger 1700 cc but know there 1600,1500,900 are pretty much bullet proof.has anyone here have any knowledge of this bike? i know it doesn't have a CB or a tape deck but it seems to be a fairly nice ride.

I looked at that bike Thursday,just not my cup of tea.But I did like the goldwing trike there.

A friend of mine got one the day they came out. He had owned the old Voyagers years back and loved them. Well, not slamming my friend but he is one of those constant boasters, boasts 18 hours a day, but that's okay, good friend and mostly knows what he is talking about.

Well in the months he owned the new one, I didn't hear constant boasting (about the bike anyhow). Later he got T-boned by a car ("I didn't see him!"), totaled the bike. He how owns HD and never looked back and rarely mentions the bike.

I never asked what he thought about it, but his silence on the Voyager, to me, said a lot.

Guest scarylarry

I wonder why?

It is not a bad bike and after speaking to Mark last night he said this one has ABS and from everyone I talked to say they are great and have no problems, keep in mine they are new though...

One thing I did forget it has a fix faring and takes some getting use too..

If I had to choose between this and a HD I would have to go with VV..

Though the VV is as close to a HD as you can get without being on one, they have a slight vibration like a HD and start like a HD...They are just missing the potato sound is all...

If I had to choose between the RSV and the VV I would have to with RSV just more power...

May want to google oil consumption on Kawasaki V twins. It was linked here before in a prior discussion. Seems around the 30- 50,000 mile mark, they can start using oil. Kawasaki apparently considers it normal wear for people who had hit this mileage while its still under warranty. This was for models prior to this so not sure if its still an issue.

They are nice looking bikes, but has been said the seating looks tight. There are two for sale down here that I have seen. The HD dealer has one and so does our local Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki dealer. The blue one is sharp.

On edit: Here are links to the local ones. Our dealers here are a little high. Your seems to be a good price.

http://www.sunsportscycle.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=0304043X6K3K2012J8I45I10JAMQ980R0&veh=153556&pov=2444607

No link for the one at the HD dealer. Not on their site.

RSTDdog

Edited by RSTDdog

Guest scarylarry

I have talk to a few folks that have 80k and they say no oil consumption..

One claim he did but that was when he switch to synthetic around 1k miles went back to dino and then back synthetic around 9k miles and never had that problem again..

Kaw did revamp the tranny in 2011 for better shifting but still it has a noise...

I left Nashville rode it hard and it was hot in the stop and go traffic to Tampa and back and never use a drop at the time it had 1400 miles on it..

Like you said the seat though replace it and make a OEM a flower pot or boat anchor out of it...

I have talk to a few folks that have 80k and they say no oil consumption..

One claim he did but that was when he switch to synthetic around 1k miles went back to dino and then back synthetic around 9k miles and never had that problem again..

Kaw did revamp the tranny in 2011 for better shifting but still it has a noise...

I left Nashville rode it hard and it was hot in the stop and go traffic to Tampa and back and never use a drop at the time it had 1400 miles on it..

Like you said the seat though replace it and make a OEM a flower pot or boat anchor out of it...

I am considering this bike--- Which, aftermarket replacement seat do you reccomend ??? Also, I was looking at this bike last week at a dealer, and sitting on it. Frankly I thought the seat was pretty good, but, with all the negative comments in this thread concerning the seat, I'm looking for a few more comments as to the quality of the seat. ??

I'm all ears !! :confused24:

As I am considering this bike, I have been researching any information I can find concerning the " Heat Problem " !! As I have found Kawasiki is claiming the 2012 models, have a fix for the heat problem.

But I'm still finding information on various web sites, that the heat problem still exists ???

Do we have anybody here with a 2012 model Voyeger, that can elaborate on the Heat problem ???

Also, any comments as to the Power levels of this 1700 CC Twin would be much appreciated,

Also, any comments as to brakeing power, when fully loaded, and rideing double, would be appreciated.

Any comments, as to Kawasaki's Drive Belt system??? I have never had a bike with a Drive Belt Set up. So, I'm all ears, for any comments as to that aspect of this bike, good or bad

This bike was one of my finalists. lol I really wanted a Victory CC but the $$ knocked it out. My local (well as close as I get to local) delaer had year end close outs with ABS for 13K. They also had my 09 RSV. WE sat on the Voyager and checked things out. The wife said she didnt feel like she has as much space on the Voyager, and also in just the short time sitting on it at the dealer she didnt feel like the seat was particularly comfortable either. I had the same problem on my 900 Vulcan. Then we moved over to a 2011 RSV. She really liked the seating arangment and extra room between us to move if needed. For me the Voyager I couldnt touch the ground comfortably. The RSV was a bit high alos but I had already been reading up on a no cost remadey. THen when I got the bomb dropped on us that you had to pay extra for all the radio wires, headsets, MP3 jacks etc and it added on another $400 or so it changed my mind. Over on the Kawaski boards the heat seems to be a big big issue. Something about Chesters nuts roasting on an open fire or something like that.

Guest scarylarry
I am considering this bike--- Which, aftermarket replacement seat do you reccomend ??? Also, I was looking at this bike last week at a dealer, and sitting on it. Frankly I thought the seat was pretty good, but, with all the negative comments in this thread concerning the seat, I'm looking for a few more comments as to the quality of the seat. ??

I'm all ears !! :confused24:

The seat is great for a running around town, a 500 mile it ain't so..

You have many options one is the daylong seat by Russell very costly and depends on if you do a lot of long distance riding or do like me and get a 20.00 pad from wally world and I was good with that..They are in the automotive section..

But if around town is all you are doing this is good seat..

Guest scarylarry
As I am considering this bike, I have been researching any information I can find concerning the " Heat Problem " !! As I have found Kawasiki is claiming the 2012 models, have a fix for the heat problem.

But I'm still finding information on various web sites, that the heat problem still exists ???

Do we have anybody here with a 2012 model Voyeger, that can elaborate on the Heat problem ???

Also, any comments as to the Power levels of this 1700 CC Twin would be much appreciated,

Also, any comments as to brakeing power, when fully loaded, and rideing double, would be appreciated.

Any comments, as to Kawasaki's Drive Belt system??? I have never had a bike with a Drive Belt Set up. So, I'm all ears, for any comments as to that aspect of this bike, good or bad

Mine does not have the heat management upgrade so I can not comment onit is no more than a fan under the seat at the rear that blows hot air down... This is a bike and 100+ degrees in traffic you will get hot, so I really don't understand why the fuss...

I don't have a issue with the heat on my 11 and rear brakes are good but not as good as the RSV the front brakes will stand you up straight...

Belt system it is a belt no different than any other one I have rode..

Power the RSV has more but this is a V-4 and that is a V Twin though it is bigger in CC but just a little less HP than the RSV...

Guest scarylarry

I don't have anymore complaints on the VV than the RSV just different ones...Seat being first and foremost

I think I saw quite a few guys going with a Mustang seat also. Part of this was a bunch of the guys I was talking with to start were guys moving up from 900 vulcans and we all went with the Mustang for those.

thanks for all the info. turns out that i will have to wait until the wife recovers from surgery enough to go for a ride to see if she likes it. guess I'll just keep the RSV,it's just getting broke in at 71000.:bluesbrother:

Then you could buy a REAL Motorcycle......:whistling::whistling:

Guest scarylarry

Like I mention it is tight seating back there....I'm betting she will not like it..

Great seat for a stuff animal though..

i know your right about that Larry,my wife is just a little picky. as for you yammer dan i got something special just for you that i will try to hold on until i see you in aug at the K.O.A.

Watch out!! That Brother of mine that showed up at MD just might be there!!!:whistling: