IGNORED

What wt oil for Touring Arizona recommended?

GolfVenture

A test in a magazine many years ago resulted in the bike actually running hotter on 20-50 versus the factory recommended 10-30. The editors were surprised at the results, as I was. This test was not particularly scientific. They simply added an oil temperature gauge to an air-cooled motorcycle and watched it as they made runs up a mountain road. What I find interesting is the number of old farts (like me) that still adhere to the myth that heavier oil is needed for hot weather. I think today's water-cooled bikes will work fine on the factory recommended weight oil, even in Las Vegas.

:080402gudl_prv:

I will be changing oil before I leave for Las Vegas from Seattle. What wt oil would be recommended for that area in Late June.

I'm Guessing 20/40 or 20/50 wt?

I use Rotella 15w 40

a friend of mine road to & thru Arizona a few yrs back & he said that he hadn't changed his break fluid in a cple yrs and it was so hot his fluid boiled, said they had to change it on the fly..he said if any1 travels there they need to make sure u have fresh fluid in everything...I don't know personally but the guy is reliable...and has bout 90k on his 2nd generation RV..

I use Rotella 15w 40

a friend of mine road to & thru Arizona a few yrs back & he said that he hadn't changed his break fluid in a couple yrs and it was so hot his fluid boiled, said they had to change it on the fly

Just so folks realize, DOT 3 and 4 brake fluid both absorb moisture, and this is how the fluid will boil out. It's always a good cheap insurance policy to change out your brake fluids every year, especially in hot climates...

:2cents:

I'll be staying in Las Vegas. But I definately will cross over into AZ so I can update my map to include AZ. I see that Tucson AZ is about 405 miles from Las Vegas. Any interesting places worth visiting in AZ with in say 200 miles from Las Vegas.

You're hitting us in the hot time of the year. Northern is best to stay at. Flagstaff area, I think you were already going to the Grand Canyon, but I still highly recommend Zion National Park on the southern border of Utah.

About 3 hours/165 miles from Vegas. Then you could drop down to the Canyon area. Sedona Arizona is a BEAUTIFUL place to ride through and stay for a day or two. Google it and check it out.