IGNORED

Home from trip

frankd

Barb and I got home Friday night from a 15 day, 3500 miles long trip. We rode down to the southern tip of Illinois and visited friends, then the 4 of us rode to Nashville. Our friends left for home, and we continued to our daughter's house near Mufreesboro TN. A couple of days with the grandsons, and also took our son-in-laws new Concours for a ride---but it started to rain pretty hard right after I left, so I headed back home. Nice bike though, sure is fast. We left our daughter's house and headed to Cleveland TN, where he jumped on some of the back roads. When we were enjoying the Cherohala Skyway when we came up on an old motorcycle doing all it could to climb the grade. We passed him and noticed that it was a 2 cylinder flathead V, but that's all I could tell for sure. We pulled off on the next overlook, and the other rider did also. It turned out that the bike was a 1919 Indian Scout, and the guy was touring on it!!! We continued on the skyway and turned onto North Carolina 129 just a bit south of where it becomes the Dragon. When we got to the Dragon, there were very few bikes (it was almost 6PM on a Tuesday), and that the police were running hand held radar further north near the straight section by the lake. There was one Venturerider.org member on a red 2006 Venture (I've forgoten his name...sorry). We still enjoyed another trip down the Dragon, or at least as much as you can with an 89 Venture 2 up and the bags packed to capacity. We never saw the cops, but because of the time of day probably they probably gave it up. We had dinner at a neat restaurant called "Hearth and Kettle Restaurant" (great food and prices and a sign by the register that reads "You never see a motorcycle parked in a Psychiatrists parking lot"). Then we rode through Pidgeon Forge and spent the night in Gatlinburg. It started to rain lightly just as we got to town, but we didn't get too wet. In the morning we walked around Galtlinburg and also rode the loop north of town---beautiful. Then we headed south to Cherokee N.C. and then southward on back roads to Hendersonville N.C. and then south into S. Carolina to meet up with Barb's cousin and his wife. They ride a new BMW 1600 GTL. We rode around with them on his favorite back roads, and then loaded both bikes back up and headed for Charleston S.C.

On the way to Charleston, his legs started cramping on the BMW and he wanted to try our Venture, so we swapped for a bit. This was our 2nd ride on a BMW, we test rode one last year. The one last year had the short seat on it and it was terrible. This one had the tall seat, but actually it was only a little better. After 50 miles, I my butt was telling me that it wanted the good old Venture back. As I said last year, the BMW has tons of power, great brakes, and handling. The throttle by wire makes it a bit awkward to start without slipping the clutch too much or killing the engine. Something I noticed on this ride is that there is a lot of drive-line lash that makes itself known with a big "CLUNK" whenever you back off the throttle or roll it back on---way more than the Yammie.

We got to Charleston ok, and the 4 of us plus Barb's other cousin and his wife (who live in Charleston) had a great visit with lots of laughs. Barb and I rode up to Myrtle Beach for the bike show on Saturday---it was mostly Harleys with a couple of Gold Wings and some crotch rockets thrown in for good measure. The only Venture I saw there was mine. On Sunday morning, we headed down to Hilton Head to see how the rich folks live and then south into Georgia. On Monday morning we rode south and touched Florida just east of the Okefenokee swamp. Then we headed up to Atlanta and visited other family for a couple of days. My cousin told me about Georgia route 52 between Elijah and Chatsworth. A beautiful road to ride if you are in the area. We headed up into TN. and spent a couple of days at our daughters again and headed home Friday.

It was a great vacation and trip. We saw a lot of beautiful scenery, rode a lot of curvy roads, and the bike ran great. Even with a tropical depression off the coast near Charleston the most rain we had to deal with was a few drops on the windshield and then it was gone. Now it rained a couple of times hard, but we were stopped for the night already or we were at our daughter's house. Many times on this trip I looked up and gave thanks.

Frank D.

Here are some pictures from the trip.....

The first 3 pictures were taken @ American Pickers Nashville store.

Pictures 4 & 5 are of the 1919 Indian Scout on the Cherohala Skyway.

Picture 6 was also taken on the Skyway.

Pictures 7 & 8 were taken on the scenic loop north of Gatlinburg TN.

Picture 9 taken on U.S. 441 between Gatlinburg & Cherokee.

Joe,

Sorry about not visiting while we were in Charleston, but our time there was filled. Barb's always been pretty close with her cousin there, and we all had a lot of catching up to do. We probably should have visited by going up to Myrtle Beach together. On the way out of town, Barb took a couple of pictures of your new bridge....I didn't post them, but it sure is an eye-catcher.

If your friend in Plainfield would like a ride on a 1st Gen, then I'd be happy to accomodate. Just send me a private message and I'll ship my phone number to you.

Frank