• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suspect a problem with the diode repair. You are aware diodes do have a polarity and can only go in 1 way? Did you clean the pcb and bake it? Did you do goos solder work without overheating?.....many things could be.

Use chart from link in post 49 to test all to tci plug- then redo tci again.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12414&d=1190758505

I didn't bake it, I just cleaned out holes and solders in new ones. Yes I do know they go one way, that was the first thing I double checked. It just seems weird that I have no spark. I havee soldered before, so I know I didn't goof there.

Earlier said water was pouring out. Minerals in water must be completely removed.

Use above diagram to test all parts too the tci. But I suspect you will need to clean TCI again.

Needs complete scrub with alchohol and nylon brush to remove a traces of minerals (iron) in water that may bridge between solder points and between legs of IC's and components.

Then high pressure rinse with electrical contact cleaner for any area's under IC chips and components missed wth brush

Then bake to completely dry everything, including under IC's.

Out if curiousity can I use my multimeter on the board its self for tests, thus would eliminate alot of my struggling.

You can use ohm meter to verify all solder connections to traces, but I have never researched proper points on PCB to test for proper voltage levels-sorry.

check for power on red/whitewhile cranking-maybe start-cutout safety sytem blocking ignition for some reason while cranking.

Well it does get hot from just cranking, ill try that. I have some resistors that are swelled up maybe from water? Could that be a problem??

swelled resistors almost guaranteed to have changed their values to the point the the entire circuit is unusable. Now possible damage to transistors and IC chips. Can try to replace swelled resistors, but would not hold breath. Do you know resistor color code? Also need proper watt ratings (size)of replacements.

Would u guys know if a vmax tci would work in the venture for suree, like 85-90 vmax on my 83 venture. I think one would be easier to come by, plus I have vboost im waiting to put on and the curves might be closer to vmax than venture.

Also I think some of the connector tabs separated from the boards when I was tugging on it, may have destroyed my venture board.

83 was a unique animal. It detectes vacum for advance from above the butterflies of #2 carb. 84 and later detects from below butterflies.

not sure about vmax, DINGY, member here but at international has highly modified 83 with vmax head and cams &vboost, and would know better about the vmax program.

What many of us has done is installed a programmable unit from INGITECH.

see this thread http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=593206&postcount=249

This unit is also usable with the vBoost.

I do have my OE 83 TCI I could loan you, I was saving as emergency spare, and did not run perfect, but if interested PM your address.

Bkuhr just got your tci and o still have no spark. Problems elsewhere I assume! This is nuts. Im not sire what the problem is but battery was completely dead to so I jumped it doing this, could something have fried that's not letting it get power to tci or something from battery???

Well probably something I should have checked, but the kickstand switch must have went out. It didn't work before and I could start in gear.. but now it seams as if it may have grounded out or something. I clipped the black/white wire from the tci harness and fired right up. Man how stupid can I be!!!

it's the little things that turn out to be the problem. Just luck as to how you find the problem, and in what order the "problem" is on the list. I usually find it is the last thing I would have checked to fix the "problem" .

I am chasing a carb problem with my 87. New diaphragms, plugs, clean the jets etc.. found out the previous owner hooked the cruise control vacuum line to the #2 cylinder port and left the vacuum line disconnected. not of this affects or changes the running of the bike. It still runs the same crappy way. I'm sure it will turn out to be some stupid little thing...:confused24:

Glad you got it running. :happy65:

Well probably something I should have checked, but the kickstand switch must have went out. It didn't work before and I could start in gear.. but now it seams as if it may have grounded out or something. I clipped the black/white wire from the tci harness and fired right up. Man how stupid can I be!!!

Well I blew that one. I was thinking when I asked you to check for power on r/w, that WAS testing the sidestand and other safety systems. I completely forgot about the b/w wire from the side stand relay. Sorry.

Good job on figuring it out yourself! Do you now have all 4 cylinders firing?

Have ya had chance to test your orginal TCI?

I do now yes. Im still getting backfire when revving up but that may be unburnt fuel from all the cranking checking for spark. But it revs great now, I was surprised at how fast it revved next to vmax. Can't wait to fervor on the road tomorrow, I pulled this beaute out of a yard its been sitting in for 9 yrs.

Haha, your welcome. Not sure if that is the switch that is bad or what!

As you figured out, a ground on the the b/w will kill the ignition. This comes from the sidestand relay, and requires relay to energize to remove the kill ground. To energize the relay the relay coil must receive a ground from EITHER the sidestand switch (all 3 wires connected to each other when up, 3rd wire for cmu lcd) OR a ground from the neutral switch in Neutral. These two switches are seperated by a diode to prevent cross interferance.

Suggest to repair the b/w wire and the problem circuit, because it IS for your safety, to prevent taking off with side stand down!!.

• 1 year later...