IGNORED

Not an RSV but...

gibvel

My son's friend just got an R6, 1999 he thinks, and is having a problem. He got a new battery and charged it. The bike starts with the charger attached but when he unhooks the charger leads the bike won't run.

He let the battery charge over night in hopes that would solve it and I'll know later tonight if it did. If not what would you suspect.

I'm thinking maybe bad or dirty connection on the ground or positive so that's where I'll start.

My son's friend just got an R6, 1999 he thinks, and is having a problem. He got a new battery and charged it. The bike starts with the charger attached but when he unhooks the charger leads the bike won't run.

He let the battery charge over night in hopes that would solve it and I'll know later tonight if it did. If not what would you suspect.

I'm thinking maybe bad or dirty connection on the ground or positive so that's where I'll start.

Once the motor is running the alternator produces the power needed to keep it running.

If it is quitting when external power is removed then there is a problem with the charging circuits.

I would start by checking the main fuse, and all the connections and grounds. It is also possible to check the alternator output with the motor running, but they are finicky things and it would be smart to have a workshop manual handy.

While I agree with the premise of what Twigg said, I would be more inclined to think that you have a really bad battery. The say that the bike dies as soon as you remove the charger leads. A fully charged battery should keep it running for a good while even if the charging system is not functioning. It just sounds like he may have gotten a bad battery.

While I agree with the premise of what Twigg said, I would be more inclined to think that you have a really bad battery. The say that the bike dies as soon as you remove the charger leads. A fully charged battery should keep it running for a good while even if the charging system is not functioning. It just sounds like he may have gotten a bad battery.

Yup ... This makes perfect sense too.

once the bike is charged measure the voltage directly on the battery terminals, should be about 12.7 volts. let the bike sit a couple hours measure the voltage again should still be 12.7 . Do the headlights come on bright with the bike not running if you read 12.7 and the lights are not bright look for a bad loose connection to the battery.

I assume when you started the bike on the charger the clips were attached to the battery cables so you can probably assume from that point on the cables are good. how are the terminal connections? Battery hooked up backwards?

the new battery was it Dry when you got it, was it like the wal-mart specials where you need to fill it with acid, then give a full charge it or was it one of the prefilled charged batteries you get at better shops.

Al

Agreed... If it was a good battery, It should keep the bike running,,,

Have interstate battery or a competent place check your battery... you can get a dud right out of the box...

One other thing is, don't use a battery charger to charge the new battery. The guys at Interstate battery told me to use my battery tender as it would trickle charge it and would make it as strong as it was going to get. They said the slower you charrge it the better.

I'm just wondering now, but, do you think he charged it on 10 amps for an hour or so?