IGNORED

Need a Little Help, RK Mufflers on RSTD

I am new to the RSTD, couple of months on an '06. Love the bike, except the seat and that is going to repaired soon, and the pipes. It has the 4-2-4 Big Nasty's on it and is just too loud for MY taste.

I picked up a set of RK mufflers, had 500 miles on them, for $20.00 yesterday.

I know I will need a bracket. I have all of hte clamps, just need a bracket. I have a pretty well equipped shop and can build one if I had the dimensions.

Can someone give me the length and bolt spacing needed? I know it has a couple of bends that I can work out.

Would sure appreciate the help.

Barry

I believe this post might have the information you are looking for.

IMX, the other necessary tool is a pipe expander. The Harley touring mufflers (can't be sure they were Roadking... I suspect Ultra Classic) had too small an inner diameter to slip easily over the Y-shaped collection piece. If I had to do it over again, I would have not attempted to persuade the pipes to slide on; I think it led to joint failure at the weld in the Y, introducing air into the exhaust with the subsequent popping on deceleration. A $10 tool from Harbor Freight expanded the muffler neck and allowed it to slide right on.

IMO, the impact of hammering the pipes on is too great on future performance. If they don't slide on, get the pipe expander.

Dave

Hey Dave, hope you're doing ok!

I went to Ace hardware and bought a couple 1 inch plastic coated pipe clamps when I did my RK pipes.

They were effective, cheap and supported the pipes great. Just another option.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa76/looped1/RKpipestrap.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finished mine this past weekend. Made the brackets and took the old muffler clamp covers off the old pipes and mounted them on. The instructions I used were excelent.

It was a ***** to get the old muffler clamp covers off but managed to do it with the dremel. I found that then RK pipes have a slit in the side and I cut this about 2 inches more and the pipes slide on much easier. I would recomend doing this.

I love the sound. Not loud at all until I crack the throttle. Glad I didn't drill the baffles out.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=507&highlight=road+king+exhaust