Gary,

I have another symptom. When steady cruise around 3200 rpm the bike sorta stumbles, surges, etc. Imagine how your bike would feel if a wheel bearing was beginning to gall. Shifting to a higher gear drops the rpm and the symptom disappears. This symptom is not intermittent, it is always there. :detective:

I have been having a similar symptom. I believe I have improved by eliminating posible bad electrical connections.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary,

What's the latest on a fix? Although I can live with the occasional drop-out, I really want it right. I think I will reload the program. Do I have everything in the kit except a USB cable? Does anyone have a program they would share?

:confused24:

Here is a link to the cable.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=690719&CatId=447

I have got over a thousand miles on my TCI & Mike Mercury's and it has not had the drop out that was reported.

I can send out a file to load that will swap from the IAP setting to the TPS setting. A cable is needed to do this.

I did experience it at 1st, 3 times within a couple of miles. I replaced the pickup coil connector & changed over to the TPS settings.

I have a TPS adapter Bkuhr made up I am going to try soon. Just been very busy this spring.

Gary

Here is a link to the cable.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=690719&CatId=447

I have got over a thousand miles on my TCI & Mike Mercury's and it has not had the drop out that was reported.

I can send out a file to load that will swap from the IAP setting to the TPS setting. A cable is needed to do this.

I did experience it at 1st, 3 times within a couple of miles. I replaced the pickup coil connector & changed over to the TPS settings.

I have a TPS adapter Bkuhr made up I am going to try soon. Just been very busy this spring.

Gary

I have not been paying good attention . . .

What is the difference of TPS and IAP?

What do I have on my '87 engine?

What was the black box that you sent with the TCI?

I have not been paying good attention . . .

What is the difference of TPS and IAP?

What do I have on my '87 engine?

What was the black box that you sent with the TCI?

TPS stands for Throttle Position Sensor. IAP is Air Pressure.

In the settings for the new V88 TCI, there is the choice between TPS or IAP. The IAP was an added feature of the V88 unit. It is a possible source of the dropout issue.

The Ventures in stock form all use Air Pressure sensor to indicate the demand on the motor which is used as part of the RPM advance . The Ignitech TCI's TPS settings can be set up to utilize this input.

Besides the TCI that I sent, there was a map sensor in the package. The adapter cable had a 3 pin connector on it that will connect to the MAP sensor. The vacuum port on the new MAP sensor needs to be connected to the carb intake boot in place of the existing hose that is on the #2 carb. Picture attached of MAP sensor sent.

If you have not installed this new MAP sensor, that would lead to less than optimal performance. The existing vacuum sensor on the bike is not connected to the new TCI, in the form I sent it to you.

Gary

TPS stands for Throttle Position Sensor. IAP is Air Pressure.

In the settings for the new V88 TCI, there is the choice between TPS or IAP. The IAP was an added feature of the V88 unit. It is a possible source of the dropout issue.

The Ventures in stock form all use Air Pressure sensor to indicate the demand on the motor which is used as part of the RPM advance . The Ignitech TCI's TPS settings can be set up to utilize this input.

Besides the TCI that I sent, there was a map sensor in the package. The adapter cable had a 3 pin connector on it that will connect to the MAP sensor. The vacuum port on the new MAP sensor needs to be connected to the carb intake boot in place of the existing hose that is on the #2 carb. Picture attached of MAP sensor sent.

If you have not installed this new MAP sensor, that would lead to less than optimal performance. The existing vacuum sensor on the bike is not connected to the new TCI, in the form I sent it to you.

Gary

I installed the map sensor per your instructions and put a photo up of the bracket that I built. I guess I'm being thick-headed here. If the IAP is the suspected problem, why am I having drop-outs?

:depressed:

I installed the map sensor per your instructions and put a photo up of the bracket that I built. I guess I'm being thick-headed here. If the IAP is the suspected problem, why am I having drop-outs?

:depressed:

GaryZ, its not the new IAP sensor causing the problem. its the new software option called IAP in the new v88 version. We seem to have had some success switching the software the was first sent out and preloaded from IAP to TPS, still using the new IAP sensor hardware installed per dingy's instructions as a TPS input.

That should be clear as mud

GaryZ, its not the new IAP sensor causing the problem. its the new software option called IAP in the new v88 version. We seem to have had some success switching the software the was first sent out and preloaded from IAP to TPS, still using the new IAP sensor hardware installed per dingy's instructions as a TPS input.

That should be clear as mud

OK, use the set-up as installed and re-set the software to TPS. Got it.

Thanks! :)

Edited by GaryZ

• 11 months later...

Well, I finally reset the TCI to TPS last week. The bike seemed to run smoother and crisper.

Rode 300 miles to Eureka Springs, 250 miles in the Ozark National Forest, and 300 miles home.

The first 100 miles were event free. Then I started seeing an occasional tach drop-out.

Then I started getting actual drop-outs around 4200 rpm.

Gas mileage is around 30mpg.

The original symptoms were drop-outs around 3200 rpm when others had them around 4200.

Now I have the 4200 rpm drop-outs. Coincidence? I think not.

Who has a file that seems to work and wants to share???:confused24: