IGNORED

First test ride after......

I took my first test ride today after doing this years round of repairs, up grades and modifications.

New Dunlop E-3's front and back thanks to Two brothers Motorcycle tires in Lawrenceville Ga.

New Starter clutch Thanks to Dano

New programable TCI Thanks to Dingy

New HO Stator from Rick at Buckeye Performance

Getting it cranked due to the suggestion from 09RSTD to turn the petcock on.

The bike runs good but the brakes are a little spongee and un responsive. I forgot how much of a PITA bleeding the brakes are.

The front brake fluid resevoir screws stripped, had to drill out, trip to Lowe's for 2 4mm x .7 beveled head screws.

Going back out there for some more pump,pump,bleed,pump,pump,bleed,pump,pump,bleed,fill, fill, pump,pump,bleed, pump, pump, ble................................................Arrrrrg again

I took my first test ride today after doing this years round of repairs, up grades and modifications.

New Dunlop E-3's front and back thanks to Two brothers Motorcycle tires in Lawrenceville Ga.

New Starter clutch Thanks to Dano

New programable TCI Thanks to Dingy

New HO Stator from Rick at Buckeye Performance

Getting it cranked due to the suggestion from 09RSTD to turn the petcock on.

The bike runs good but the brakes are a little spongee and un responsive. I forgot how much of a PITA bleeding the brakes are.

The front brake fluid resevoir screws stripped, had to drill out, trip to Lowe's for 2 4mm x .7 beveled head screws.

Going back out there for some more pump,pump,bleed,pump,pump,bleed,pump,pump,bleed,fill, fill, pump,pump,bleed, pump, pump, ble................................................Arrrrrg again

Been there and done that. I was told that it is easier to get the air out of the front if you have the bike sitting as level as possible. I had mine on the center stand that I put on.

My front felt somewhat spongy after sitting over night. I am going to bleed again soon. I can not ride right now anyway, waiting for the shoulder to heal up some more. So it has been several weeks sitting and surely the next, pump bleed, pump bleed, will do the trick for me.

Good luck and ride safe.

any other helpful hints on getting the the brakes blead
Just curious, how do you go about bleeding the brake lines?

When I do it I make sure the hose to the bleeder goes up before turning down into the waste fluid bottle so there can never be a time when air can sit at the bleeder. Done it this way on both the Virago and the Venture a couple of times each when refreshing the fluid with no problem getting them to feel solid in a reasonable length of time. Just recently replaced the rear pads one day and the right front pads a couple of days later. Probably took about 15 minutes each to get nice clear fluid all the way through just pumping the brake lever or pedal.