IGNORED

Clutch friction plates

My '87 VR clutch is starting to slip when I apply too much throttle in top gear. I guess I'll have to replace the friction plates soon. What brand of plates do you recommend ?

Jim O'D........

Australia:confused24:

Jim-

First off are you working on a 1987 diaphragm clutch or a 1983 multi-spring clutch?

In the U.S. a lot of us use the OEM parts from Yamaha. There is a couple of routes you may choose. If it is a 1986 and newer more than likely the problem is in the diaphragm spring more so than the friction discs. Also think pilot bearing while you are in there. And an inch-pound type torque wrench. Little bolts that snap easily. I would even replace them with new ones.

Brands other than Yamaha that I trust: EBC-CK series and Barnett. They both have kits for multi-spring and diaphragm. Barnett has replacement springs for the multi-spring unit. Barnett also makes a drop-in multi-spring unit for the later models. Some folks do not like the diaphragm spring style.

Below reference the 1986 and newer unit

1) The stock system uses a half ring at the most inboard friction. A company called PCW Racing has developed a kit with a full disc and a stronger spring diaphragm washer. Many owners install just this kit and it solves the problem. It was first developed for the V-Max. Both series of Venture starting at 1986 until present day use the same discs. Earlier Ventures used a multi-spring clutch.

2) Use the above listed kit and change all of the friction discs in addition. If the steels have not been over-heated they will be ok. Might possibly use fine sandpaper to break the glaze. There is a specific method to do this. Flat sand them on a piece of glass or ather very flat surface. This merits its own discussion if you need help.

3) Double up the stock diaphragm spring. Vastly increases clamping force. If age has attacked the original spring and the friction discs are good, this works. Downside is a thicker stack and a very stiff operating clutch.

I used option 2 and Barnett friction discs. Solved my problems several years ago and has performed well solo and 2-up. Don't even notice the slightly greater operating force of the stronger spring. I am leary of option 3 as I do not like double stacking the springs. Many have done it with no adverse effects. You might even send a message to SKYDoc17 (Earl). Not sure if he could get the components down under in an economical manner or not. Also, contact AussieAnnie. She may be able to direct you on local parts or how to get them shipped over.

JB

Edited by lonestarmedic
Added info

I just did the upgrade spring and one friction disk from Skydoc17. I also sanded/ crosshatched the friction plates on my 87 royale and fixed the slippage. Mine would even slip in 3rd if I jumped on it.

You might try just sanding the plates frist.

What type of oil are you using? I used some with friction fighters and my '83 started to slip shortly after.

Good luck:thumbsup:

Sorry I took so long to answer. I've been off air for a while. Havent had a chance to do anyththing yet but the first I'll do is check the torque on the diaphragm.

I use standard 4st motorcycle engine oil so that's not the problem.

Thanks for your really informative replies.

Cheers

Jim O'D......

On my 89, at 37,000 miles clutch started slipping, ( completly let loose ) I replaced it with the Barnett, Complete Disc's set, and Pressure plate.

87K, now on the bike, and absolutly NO clutch problems so far.

Thats my 2 cents worth, for whatever its worth :whistling:

Got the upgrade from Skydoc for a friend with an 88 and it solved the slipping problem. Works a charm and easy to install. Don't even need to drain the oil. Comes with friction disk, spring and gasket and instructions.

If he does upgrade to a diaphragm clutch from an MKII, the clutch case cover has to be replaced with an MKII as well. Clutch stackup is longer and MKI case won't work.

Gary