IGNORED

Well I went and did it...

GAWildKat

I joined a local gym yesterday, they have a 30 day free trial with unlimited access during business hrs, decided I need to not only lose weight but need to strength train too. I'm a bit overwhelmed looking at workout routines. Other than walking and PE class, never stepped into a gym before.

Just go slow and take your time. Its easy to hurt yourself trying to do to much. Don't look at other people and say to yourself, I should be able to do that. Quickest way to get hurt. And one more word for you. Stretch- ALot= before, during and after.

I just rejoined a gym myself after a 2 year hiatus (long story). First day back was Thursday. I have my book from when I was going regularly. Starting out about half of where I was two years ago when I stopped.

If they offer personal training, paying for a few sessions is a good way to learn the equipment and also good form. Using a machine or free weights incorrectly can be worse than not doing anything.

I like swimming myself. Low impact, burns calories, and puts you in great shape. Having someone to workout with and help keep you motvated is a plus. Easy to come up with reasons not to go to the Gym.....

RSTDdog

.........and in a few weeks we will be hearing about how you body slammed Yammer Dan.......:doh::rotfl:

I have not been back in a gym since I broke my leg playing racket ball 12 years ago.

I have been thinking of rejoining the club, I did enjoy beating the snot out of that poor little blue ball.

Just go slow and take your time. Its easy to hurt yourself trying to do to much. Don't look at other people and say to yourself, I should be able to do that. Quickest way to get hurt. And one more word for you. Stretch- ALot= before, during and after.

I just rejoined a gym myself after a 2 year hiatus (long story). First day back was Thursday. I have my book from when I was going regularly. Starting out about half of where I was two years ago when I stopped.

If they offer personal training, paying for a few sessions is a good way to learn the equipment and also good form. Using a machine or free weights incorrectly can be worse than not doing anything.

I like swimming myself. Low impact, burns calories, and puts you in great shape. Having someone to workout with and help keep you motvated is a plus. Easy to come up with reasons not to go to the Gym.....

RSTDdog

Hubby did the temp join with me too. I'm not to go to the gym until he can go with me and be my spotter. I can walk the neighborhood all I want in the meantime. But I'm strictly not allowed to try the freeweights until he can make sure my form is correct. And Jeff, since I don't see Dan nearly as much as I do Mike, it's more likely that I might be bodyslamming Mike in a few weeks (months). The gym offers cycling classes, yoga, Pilates with the VIP membership ($30/mo) but they don't offer personal trainers, so I'm on my own there. Maybe in a few months I can work up to the P90x videos I have lol.

Well its good to have a buddy with free weight but heres a trick that i use all the time. Start with a low weight and lift it or lower it to an 8 or ten count. You get a lot more work out using a lot less weight and burning more calories. Why? because most people push and lower a weight too quickly. the actual amount of time the weight is in suspension or the muscles are being taxed is only a few seconds. One repetition with a count of 6 to 8 seconds is many times as much work as 3 or 4 reps. And because you are doing it slower you have to use less weight.

I've been doing it for over ten years and added several pounds of muscle and have not injured myself in all that time. Its a simple trick that is incredibly effective. Even if its simple push ups or squats.

Stick with a weight you can handle and do the Reps. To begin with they are going to do you a lot more good than trying to push up a bunch of steel. Be prepared to get sore. The are a lot of programs you can follow. I would read a little on them til you understand the direction they are going and make up your own. Body Slam?? I can hide pretty good....I can't run.

This is the weight training system Mike approved: http://www.gymprofessor.com/gym-routines-toning-women.html

I'm going to start with 5lbs weights and slowly work up. My starting weight is 215, according to the charts, I'm supposed to weigh 135, but my goal is 150lbs, so we'll see. 135lbs was what I weighed 11 yrs ago when I met Mike.

I'm not quite up to doing that...yet. When I used to walk, for fun I would do up to 20 miles a day with my walkman. Unfortunately my exhusband forced me to stop, and other demands in life took over. Wasn't long after that I gained all the weight, mostly from the meds I was taking. Mike always said if I got my weight down and kept it down he'd find a way to reward me with stuff I want. I need to get my butt in gear and start working out again.

My GF can only walk once around the block with the dog on a leash.

The dog still loves it and if she forgets that it is "time" to go for that walk she will be reminded in no uncertain terms. That dog knows exactly when it is 2:00pm, and you better be ready to go for a walk.

I take the dog on the long walks at the off leash dog parks or just thru the woods where I hunt.

Now if you really want a workout come try to follow me thru the woods.

My GF can only walk once around the block with the dog on a leash.

The dog still loves it and if she forgets that it is "time" to go for that walk she will be reminded in no uncertain terms. That dog knows exactly when it is 2:00pm, and you better be ready to go for a walk.

I take the dog on the long walks at the off leash dog parks or just thru the woods where I hunt.

Now if you really want a workout come try to follow me thru the woods.

Wish I could do a go through the woods, but my asthma would be leaving me breathless. I used to walk the former roommate's dog until a neighbor let his boxers off leash and they came at me, Dante was going to protect me, but he had no chance against 2 boxers. After that I couldn't do it anymore, was worried at what could happen to him next time.