IGNORED

Passing Lamp Question, What Comes with What?

So I would like to get some passing lamps and I like the tri-bar halogen ones. I inquired about one set with part number STR-4WM35-10-EA and was told they were the lamps only with out the Buckets? Another set with this part number I inquired about says there is no harness, just a wire coming out of the back. That Part number on Yamahas website says Tri Bar Passing Lamps, need to use with mount sold separately.

So For a Tri bar set up what part number (s) do I need? does the connecting harness for the passing lamps come with lamp or the mount kit? Do I just need the 1D6 mount and the lamp set part number above? Was trying to do it cheap through different sources, but maybe going through one of the online dealers is the way to go even if its more money.

Thanks.

RSTDdog

Welcome to the Yamaha RipOff

I had to purchase the standard bracket, and the passing lamps. Then after a year I migrate to the HD, and yes use my previous cases since both HD and TriBar don't come with the housing cases.

They want to charge you now, what they didn't did at the time to purchase the bike...

I don't think that on the future I'll going to purchase anything back for them, If I have an option brand.

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

Welcome to the Yamaha RipOff

I had to purchase the standard bracket, and the passing lamps. Then after a year I migrate to the HD, and yes use my previous cases since both HD and TriBar don't come with the housing cases.

They want to charge you now, what they didn't did at the time to purchase the bike...

I don't think that on the future I'll going to purchase anything back for them, If I have an option brand.

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

So are you saying I need to buy the sealed beam passing lamp in order to get the housing and still have to buy the tri-bar lamp (only) on top of that if I want the tri bar?

The Yamaha Custom Tri-Bar Passing Lamps page says this:

Royal Star application
: designed to coordinate with the Tri-Bar Headlight. Passing lamp mounts required for installation (STR-4NK35-40-01) sold separately.

Now, the interesting thing is that the part they give (STR-4NK35-40-01) is for the sealed beam passing lamps. You will also need the bar! (STR-1D635-40-00). If I recall correctly, the bar was just the bar, and the lamps came with the housing. (Passing lamp page)

So, I read it that you will need to buy the bar, the housing/lamp, and the tri-bar.

I bought the sealed beam and the bar, and had the dealer install them. They did it as Yamaha recommended, which means they used an undersized toggle switch (drilled into my lamp housing!!!) and wired them to the high beam circuit. They only came on with high beams, and when they blew a fuse, it took out all my lighting in front.

You will do yourself a favor if you install them properly, using a relay powered straight from the battery, and a switch to the relay switched power.

Dave

Here are the links and numbers I had. I haven't done it yet. But am gearing up to do it. Looking for any advice.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/433/1812/11878/all/1/2557/0/detail.aspx

STR-4NK35-10-01 Halogen lights

STR-1d635-40-00 Passing lamp mounts

http://store.valueaccessories.net/handlebarswitchforlightbars1bars.aspx Light switch

Let me know if there is anything else I'll need to complete the job. There is a picture on the star motorcycle link. I've been assuming that if I bought the lights and bar, it was all I needed to make things look like the picture.

Guess I need a relay to the battery as well. I want them independent of the running lights. And I want the switch to look professional and not like an afterthought.

Here are the links and numbers I had. I haven't done it yet. But am gearing up to do it. Looking for any advice.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/433/1812/11878/all/1/2557/0/detail.aspx

STR-4NK35-10-01 Halogen lights

STR-1d635-40-00 Passing lamp mounts

http://store.valueaccessories.net/handlebarswitchforlightbars1bars.aspx Light switch

Let me know if there is anything else I'll need to complete the job. There is a picture on the star motorcycle link. I've been assuming that if I bought the lights and bar, it was all I needed to make things look like the picture.

Guess I need a relay to the battery as well. I want them independent of the running lights. And I want the switch to look professional and not like an afterthought.

I just installed the Kuryakyn reservoir mount switches, which I think look nice and give me the control I want. The switch energizes the relay, rather than interrupts the power to the lamps. That means there is very little power going through the switch. You'll want a fuse between the battery and the relay, also.

Dave

Dave,

Went back and rechecked part numbers through google- STR-4NK35-40-01 is a passing lamp mount, it looks different though, die cast is how I've seen it described. STR-4NK35-10-00 are sealed beams, and STR-4NK35- 10-01 are the regular Halogens. 10-EA are the Tri Bar lamps as I indicated before, but I can't tell what you get. I am waiting on a response backon set of the 10-EA s to see if they have the housing. THey already told me there was no harness. My local dealer has a 1D6 mount bracket he is willing to sell for around 80.00 which is cheaper than the online prices I have seen.

I Saw your older posts on the relay install and definitley going to that.

Found a slighly bent passing light set and mount with sealed beams located in Texas for 90.00, but can't tell from the pictures if they are worth trying to straighten. Mount tab for one light is bent. Bucket might be a little bent as well. Fr another 100.00 or so Ican get it all new, so probaly not worth the effort.

Steve_O,

That should be what you need, I'm looking at the tri bar light and have some conflicting info as to how to accomplish that.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Derrek

RSTDdog

Derrek,

You are right, the STR-4NK35-40-01 is billed as the mount. I've just never seen that on a RSTD. It has always been the STR-1D635-40-00. This link shows the right part number (1D635) but the different look (4NK35). One I looked at earlier suggested the 4NK35 is for the VT1300. Confusing!

As it happens, I am in the market for the mount, and a lamp housing. The mount and the left housing were damaged in my recent accident. Plus, the dealer drilled a hole in the left housing, and this is a great time to get rid of that. If you find yourself with excess parts... :innocent:

Dave

I was just looking into lamps for these today. I have a RSV with 4.5" passing lamps. I was chatting with a fellow Venture owner a few days ago and he said he put HID in his passing lights. He had to use a housing I think from the TD. Best I could find today was STR-4wm35-50-ea. Its just the housing and I think it takes a H3 halogen normaly. I thought it said something about Tri bar also. Any ideas short of calling a dealer how to find out the size of these things?

I was just looking into lamps for these today. I have a RSV with 4.5" passing lamps. I was chatting with a fellow Venture owner a few days ago and he said he put HID in his passing lights. He had to use a housing I think from the TD. Best I could find today was STR-4wm35-50-ea. Its just the housing and I think it takes a H3 halogen normaly. I thought it said something about Tri bar also. Any ideas short of calling a dealer how to find out the size of these things?

The part number you listed above is the replacement glass housing (as yamaha calls it) for the Tri-Bar passing lamp. No chrome housing comes with that. The Tribar takes an H3 bulb. The Tri Bar has a different reflector design plus the tribar insert to match the tribar headlight. Yamaha also makes a standard Halogen glass insert, STR-4NK35-17-01, its a little cheaper than the Tri Bar if all your after is the E3 bulb compatibility.

By TD housing, I assume your friend is talking about the glass housing. He had to change to Halogen glass housings from sealed beams to do the HID in the passing lamps. For whatever reason on their website they are only listed with the Royal Star and Vstar. Info on the HID he is using would be nice and where did he put the ballasts?

The Venture and the Tour Deluxe passing lamps use the same part number Sealed Beam replacement passing lamp so the Chrome housings are the same size. Either of the Halogen glass housings Yamaha makes should physically fit in the Chrome lamp housing in place of the sealed beam. Not sure if the connector for the sealed beam would be the same as the H3 bulb though.

So if you have passing lamps with Sealed beams now, either STR-4NK35-17-01 or STR-4WM35-50-EA (tri bar) should fit in your Chrome housing in place of the sealed beam.

RSTDdog

Its been awhile since I installed mine but my tri bars came as a complete assembly housing and lamps. All I had to do was get the bar seperate. Also got the tri bar headlamp. The switch that is mounted in the left lamp came in the assembly. After a about five years the wiring to the switch broke and I by passed it. I have mine wired to stay on all the time same as the head lamp. Low or high beam mine stays on. No law in Texas agaisnt it that I can find. I have never been stopped for it. I installed a fuse in the power lead. As long as it is rated lower than the factory fuse it will blow first in case of a short. You can build your harness with heat shrink and get more protection from shorts.

kickshot

Its been awhile since I installed mine but my tri bars came as a complete assembly housing and lamps. All I had to do was get the bar seperate. Also got the tri bar headlamp. The switch that is mounted in the left lamp came in the assembly. After a about five years the wiring to the switch broke and I by passed it. I have mine wired to stay on all the time same as the head lamp. Low or high beam mine stays on. No law in Texas agaisnt it that I can find. I have never been stopped for it. I installed a fuse in the power lead. As long as it is rated lower than the factory fuse it will blow first in case of a short. You can build your harness with heat shrink and get more protection from shorts.

kickshot

Thanks. Do you remember if you just reuse the factory turn signal harness inside the new mount along with the power wire for the lights? I thought I saw somewhere there was a harness extension for the turn signals, but maybe that's for the Venture.

I just received my Tribar lights I got from ebay and they came like you described. There is a power wire and fuse holder in the box with the lights and housings and switch installed in the right lamp. I'm going to eliminate the switch from the beginning and put a little chrome plug in its place and wire the lights with a relay as Dave suggested.

Now just need to find a good deal on the mount.

RSTDdog

Thanks. Do you remember if you just reuse the factory turn signal harness inside the new mount along with the power wire for the lights? I thought I saw somewhere there was a harness extension for the turn signals, but maybe that's for the Venture.

I just received my Tribar lights I got from ebay and they came like you described. There is a power wire and fuse holder in the box with the lights and housings and switch installed in the right lamp. I'm going to eliminate the switch from the beginning and put a little chrome plug in its place and wire the lights with a relay as Dave suggested.

Now just need to find a good deal on the mount.

RSTDdog

$253.00 on E-bay free shipping. Just FYI

$253.00 on E-bay free shipping. Just FYI

Thanks. That's the complete set up. I just need the mount now. I picked up the Tribar halogen light set already. One ebay seller has the 1D6 mount for the 05 and up RSTD for 121 + SH, although the mount pictured in the listing is wrong.

I see lots of the 4NK mounts for the earlier royal stars and they are a bargain but not sure if they would fit. There must be something different about them or Yamaha would not have issued a different part number for the 05 and UP RSTD.

RSTDdog

Yamaha also makes a standard Halogen glass insert, STR-4NK35-17-01, its a little cheaper than the Tri Bar if all your after is the E3 bulb compatibility.

My lens was scratched in my accident. Having this part number is a terrific help, thanks. Do you know if they sell a complete lamp assembly, chrome housing and glass assembly, for the H3? The chrome is dented and has that stupid switch in it. It'd be nice to replace it.

Dave

[ATTACH]66248[/ATTACH][ATTACH]66249[/ATTACH]

My lens was scratched in my accident. Having this part number is a terrific help, thanks. Do you know if they sell a complete lamp assembly, chrome housing and glass assembly, for the H3? The chrome is dented and has that stupid switch in it. It'd be nice to replace it.

Dave

[ATTACH]66248[/ATTACH][ATTACH]66249[/ATTACH]

I have not seen a part number listed for individual chrome housings or complete lamp assembly. I picked up a set of Tribar Lamps New in Box from Ebay and the switch comes installed in the housing from Yamaha. There were instructions in the box and no part numbers listed for components.

Derrek