IGNORED

Debit Card Compromised

dacheedah

Working nights this week training a new supervisor. On the way to work I stop by subway to grab a sandwich. Swipe my debit card, declined ??? Now I know my pension check just made it there, my pay check should be there and my wife's check. I scramble to get my sandwich and then call my Credit Union. Yep I am one of 23 people who had my card "compromised", apparently I am told I did not loose anything because they stopped it. The lady before me was hit to the tune of $3500.00. I was also told that they have seen an increase in false charges where a clerk at a gas station, restaurant... swipes your card through the gas stations device and then their cell phone or portable device and adding a small additional charge. The charge is usually small and odd numbers to pass scrutiny and people are so accustomed to using debit cards now they are not in the habit of balancing their statements.

Morale, do not hand your card to the clerk, get receipts and reconcile your statement and dispute charges asap.

AARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

Had that happen last year on my debit card. At least the wifes card still was good . But it sucked to have to wait the couple /three weeks waiting for the new card to arrive.

Good news was like you the bank caught it so that ended as well as it could have.

Can't ever be too safe with these cards nowadays.

Larry

Yea we have become so acustomed to them now. I usualy go in every couple days just to check charges to make sure they are on the up and up. We have had a rash of the "fake" readers installed in gas pumps around here in the last year or so. They say to pull on the reader when you get gas to be sure it is fully installed. I also heard when your done to press the cancel and clear buttons on the pad when your done. Supose to clear out the info from memory.

this past monday I got a call from my banks fraud dept. evidently my debit card number was stolen from the internet. and used from someone in germany. so far about 80.00 bucks! luckily my bank was on top of it quickly. so now I have to wait for a new debit card, and to get my money back. guess it could have been worse! but it really steams me! we all get up go to work everyday while the thieves get up sit in front of the computer and try to figure out how to take our money! I will not be using my debit card for online purchases anymore.

I had someone try to pay their doctor bill in MO from my debit card.Since we don't live in that state it was flagged. Plus I've never been to that state. Needless to say my bank stopped it, all I needed to do was head to the bank and get them to give me a new card. So While I was there I changed up my acct stuff as well. Amazing what people try. I never give my card to anyone, debit or credit. Can't trust anyone.

Margaret