IGNORED

Trail cameras?

Flyinfool

I am looking at getting a trail camera used for deer hunting to use it as a security cam for a remote location with no power, internet or anything else.

The hunting type trail cams is all I can think of.

Small, Camo colored to hide in a tree, made to be outdoors, runs on batteries. motion activated, IR flash for night time.

Does anyone have any experience with which ones actually work decent without costing a fortune. If they spot the cam I am sure it will either get shot or stolen or both.

Twice in the last 2 weeks bullets have been put thru the shed, took out a front tire and a fuel jug, one just missed the engine. it is deliberate since shell casings have been found right next to the shed. About a dozen shots so far.

Would love to be able to hand the police a pic of whom they need to pick up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MOULTRIE-GAME-SPY-D55-IR-INFRARED-GAME-CAMERA-5-MP-BEST-PRICE-ANYWHERE-/300687769910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4602634136

this is the one I use for hunting. I like it. It works well on deer and the like. They also make ones that hook up to a cell type device and can be set to send a pic to your email. That may be an option for you as you stated that it may be stolen or shot. You would still have the pic.

Ill do a little more checking on that for you in a bit.

David

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MOULTRIE-GAME-SPY-D55-IR-INFRARED-GAME-CAMERA-5-MP-BEST-PRICE-ANYWHERE-/300687769910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4602634136

this is one of the cheapest I found but not sure if it would do as I have no expierience with these types of cameras. I have heard a lot of peaple that have them like them as you dont have to go to the woods to check your camera .

Edited by painterman67

Primos truth cam46 will do everything you want Jeff and are reliable 100.00 bucks or so at wally world. Be sure and pick up a SD card and D cell batteries there not included. Battery life is forever will even video too. Good luck nailing the b##t**ds. One other thing most trail cams have about a 50' range on the motion sensor.

lots of good cams, u want ir and no flash. b careful about mounting the camera, we get lots stolen here. You can pick up a cheap dvr security camera that will do a better job but may cost more, in the end u could relocate it where u want and it would probably be easier to conceal... http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/safety-security/security-systems/indoor-outdoor-wireless-analog-camera/p-1398505-c-6470.htm

Well I ended up ordering the Bushnell Trophy Cam Blackout.

And to try to make sure it stays where I put it.

I also ordered a Heavy Duty CamLockBox with Python cable lock. This Box is made from 10Ga steel (Thats .134 thick).

My .22 bullet trap is made of 10Ga steel. So if someone does manage to spot it 15 feet up a tree the box will help to resist the cam being shot up. Not prevent it but it will make their target a lot smaller, and hopefully save the memory card with their pic on it.

We were out at the field with the LEOs on Saturday and were able to find 2 bullets, one in pretty good shape. The LEOs are very interested in finding someone that would fire a gun withing city limits. The are running the bullets and shell caseings thru balistics to see if they match anything. There were a lot of things damaged in the sheds. There was one bullet that went thru the sheds wall thru the shed out the other side into the next shed thru that shed and out thru another steel wall and finally put a hole in the tank of the porta john. We did not go looking for that bullet...:confused24:

The two bullets that we found were inside of plastic jugs, one was the full jug of diesel fuel (they had to get the full one, missed the two empties) the other was inside of the weed sprayer tank that was full of weed killer.

In looking at the hole patterns in the sheds, someone was out to inflict maximum damage, they knew right where things were stored. Every shot was either a hit on equipment or extremely close to high value equipment.

Arrrrgggggg.........

Why do people have to be such a-holes.........

I really hope this camera catches someone. Charges will be pressed.

I am looking at getting a trail camera used for deer hunting to use it as a security cam for a remote location with no power, internet or anything else.

The hunting type trail cams is all I can think of.

Small, Camo colored to hide in a tree, made to be outdoors, runs on batteries. motion activated, IR flash for night time.

Does anyone have any experience with which ones actually work decent without costing a fortune. If they spot the cam I am sure it will either get shot or stolen or both.

Twice in the last 2 weeks bullets have been put thru the shed, took out a front tire and a fuel jug, one just missed the engine. it is deliberate since shell casings have been found right next to the shed. About a dozen shots so far.

Would love to be able to hand the police a pic of whom they need to pick up.

I think the big problem will be the range of any trail camera. They're usually set to work within 20 feet or so, and I doubt the perp is going to be that close?? I'd go with a survelance multi camera type and recorder. I recently saw a 3 camera for sale on WOOT for $199 bucks. I don't know what trail cameras go for but that's about half of the systems I've seen at SAM's Club.

Investigation 101. . . What's within walking distance?? I would look for houses in the less than a mile range, first thought is teen aged kids. Check with your 911 center and neighbors and see if anyone heard the shots or saw someone walking with a rifle or pistol. If the site is secluded I would look at people who have been here before, sounds like young or new to guns. . .

The issue with most of the surveillance systems is power. There is no power available. and the surveillance systems (recorder part) can not handle the temperature and humidity extremes of outdoor use. It gets real hot and real cold in the shed and everything gets wet from condensation.

And from reading the specs, the surveillance cams have even less range than the trail cams unless you get into the expensive cams.

The cam that I have picked has a range of 45 feet for the motion sensor and the IR flash, it also has a setting to just snap a pic anywhere from 1 second to 1 hour intervals. This is so that you can monitor a large area that is out of sensor range. This is probably the setting I'll use.

One of the issues that is being remedied is that the lock on the gate has had the same combination for 33 years. There are a lot of past club members that have that combo.

This is way out in the boonies, there are no houses within a mile and a 22 is not real loud either.

I hope they will wait till I have the cam up before they come back.

When we are out and about in the country in our Ministry we see all types of homes that are protected with a camera powered by a small (4" x 4") solar panel.

One time I was at a call where nobody was at home..

I was in my truck that had my company name and phone number on the back window and befoe I even got home there was a message on my machine questioning why I was there!

It must have had some type of alerting system as well as the camera to capture the image of the truck.

• 2 weeks later...

The local rag may have let the word out since the ran an article about the incident that they got from the police reports.:doh:

So the jerks may know to lay low for a while.

This weekend I will get the SD card out of the camera to see what the pics look like.

In theory the SD card is good for 10 days of pics at 1 per minute.

But since no one knows the camera is there I have to do it in the dark when no one is around.

I have it mounted 24 feet up in a tree overlooking the whole parking lot.

The pics are not great but they were taken at 10PM.

The cam is right at the top of the ladder.