Hi,

Headlight on 83 VR used to work ....both high and low beam, stopped working on high this fall , therefore high beam warning lite stays on.... I'm assuming switch on left handlebar might be bad...

Not the greatest light beam now..., but I am going to look at painting inside of headlight cover as suggested and I'm replacing driving lights soon too... Still a well functioning high beam would be nice...

Anyone had to replace switch???? Running wires as well as choke cable look interesting .....

Clay

Welcome to the site, Clay. :RED: You'll find a lot of good info and even better people here!

If you have made sure that the bulb is good (sorry, but I had to ask!), then it is very likely a soldering issue. Mamayama is notorious for cold solder joints that tend to give up after only a couple of decades! :confused24:

I went through this with a friends 83. We tried a new "reserve lighting unit" at about 120 bucks, ran a hot wire to the bulb with a separate switch on the dash, then took that switch out and used the power from the stock switch with 2 relays and unplugged the warning light. What finally fixed it was taking out the main brain that is in the dash, pulling the circuit board out (make sure you ground to it to protect sensitive electronics in it) and re-soldering the connections. I think that there is a post here someplace about this. Or maybe it's just about re-soldering the CLASS. Same procedure though. Here is a link to the CLASS repair to give you an idea.

If yours is a Royale, you may need to do this with the CLASS air system at some point too.

Good luck!

Clay, I will also agree that Todd is most likely on top of this one. It is a real common occurance on the 1st gens for the Computer Montoring System CMS to have a bad solder joint. It is not a hard fix and there are instructions on here somewhere on how to do it. I have posted a time or two the basic steps in doing it.

If you can not figure it out, let us know and someone will walk you thru it.

RandyA

When you paint your rubber lining, use Gloss White paint as it works better than Silver! Yes, the first thing I would check is for voltage coming to the high beam, and yes, resolder the connector on the dash board. After 25`years the solder can become brittle and break. Connectors can also corrode...