IGNORED

Camping sleep matress/coushion sugestions.

a1bummer

Hi guys,

After pitching my tent in Scooter & Karen's back yard Saturday, I believe I'm just not quite as young as I used to be. I've never needed anything under me except my sleeping bag for a good nights sleep. Unless of course I had the wife with. Then I had a queen sized, double thick air mattress in a very large tent to sleep on. But due to recent events, I find only myself in my small tent. Nope, I still haven't given up all hope for us as of yet. But any who, or is that any whom? I need suggestions for a small, good air mattress or cushion for just myself to sleep on. Small and light when stowed is a must. Or at least preferred.

Thanks guys!

Bill

Guest tx2sturgis

When you said, small and good, and didnt say 'cheap', I think you need to look at the Big Agnes stuff. They make a premium setup that is very comfy and packs fairly small.

http://fullthrottlecamping.com/SyntheticSleepingBags/HogPark

This is the one I bought, and remember you will also need an inflatable pad.

These arent cheap, but for comfort they cant be beat. You WONT roll off your sleeping pad during the nite, cuz the pad is inserted into the sleeping bag.

You will spend around $200 for the setup. Worth every penny if you plan on camping often.

About two hours ago I ordered a Thermarest Prolite Plus from Amazon.

The usual $119 price was reduced to $69.

I had an older Thermarest before I left the UK, and they have to be used to be believed.

If that is too much, then any decent closed-cell foam sleeping pad will be vastly better than the ground. The are warm, and offer decent comfort. What you do not want is an "airbed". They are awkward to use, puncture readily and are very cold to sleep on.

my 2c

About ten years ago I ran across the "self inflating" pads at a camping shop and tried the 1.5 inch model. This was a very good mattress however I wanted something a tad bigger and then purchased a 3 inch x-tra large and it has been sweet dream ever since. It is a big bulkier than the cheapy air mattress however, like you have found that I don't rest as easily outside of the bedroom as I once was able to. So I adopted a policy of comfort first and I will figure a way to fit it second. Maybe have to sacrifice a pair of pants or a couple of t shirts but waking with a smile on my face trumps all the rest.

All the best,

Norm

Get off the ground and sleep in a camping hammock. I have not slept on the ground in years and my back appreciates it. I sew my own equipment but there are many options out there from about 40 bucks to several hundred. It requires a little different way of thinking but it really saves the back. Another advantage, when it's raining, you dont have to get wet to make one of your nightly "visits"

Check out two of mine below.

[ATTACH]65287[/ATTACH]:thumbsup2:

Packs smaller than most tents and weighs less too.

BUT... If you are looking for a mattress, spend just a few extra $$ to get something other than air only mattress... They are usually a little warmer(keeps the chill off the old bones) and cooler in the summer. Youg get what you pay for.

Edited by TDunc

I have recently converted to hammock camping too. For solo camping as long as you have 2 trees at the right distance it is great.

Good to go!

Hammockforums is a great place to find info. Let me know what you are using.