IGNORED

carb help (suggestion)

so i have had the carb cleaned and gone over by the shop and they only changed out a few O rings and I changed out the diaphragms. The carb is back on the bike but I can not for the life of me get the bike started. I have screwed fuel air mix screws all the way in and then out 2 1/2 times and it will just turn over with no indication of actually wanting or sounding like she wants to start... at one point i turned the screws back in and counted 7 turns and that was the point that it sounded like it almost wanted to start. I also had fuel leaking from one of the screws at that point. Could amperage be a culprit? It has a new beth but the volt meter on the dash is hanging around 8 1/2 "or low"??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:bighug:. I'm about to do this to the shop.

-->:mytruck1:

Keep the rubber on the road.

Mike

Edited by talonsx2

Seven turns out and you virtually removed it ... If it ever needs more than about 3 to 4 turns out then you need a bigger pilot jet.

In any event, those screws will not stop the engine firing, so set them at two turns out and go looking for the other problem :)

Check spark and timing try a squirt of Easystart just to see if it will fire ... don't use it regularly.

Check there is actually gas in the carbs ... basic, but it won't run without.

Seven turns out and you virtually removed it ... If it ever needs more than about 3 to 4 turns out then you need a bigger pilot jet.

In any event, those screws will not stop the engine firing, so set them at two turns out and go looking for the other problem :)

Check spark and timing try a squirt of Easystart just to see if it will fire ... don't use it regularly.

Check there is actually gas in the carbs ... basic, but it won't run without.

Thank you for the response..keep in mind that i am a shade tree mechanic..

@ 7 turns out, the bike was running before the carb removal so this doesnt make sense to me.

@Spark. yes we have spark.

@Fuel. Yes we have fuel.

It could be going either way, very lean or very rich. Turn her over a few time and pull the plugs... they "better" be fuel wetted. If they are you are half way there. Leave the plugs out for a couple hours so any flooding condition is allowed to vent off, return the mixture screws to 2 1/2, pop the plugs in and try again. If no luck, pull a plug to make sure it's not still fuel soaked. The careful use of starting fluid is a valid aid, I normally will just spray some into the airbox.

Many of these need some choke to get them going from cold, but the starter spray will tell you if she wants to "pop" at ya...

Better charge up that battery and take it to the auto parts place and have them test it. Low voltage will make it very hard to start. Low voltage does strange things to a 1st gen. :confused24:

I would jump it from the car, do not turn the car on.... See if thing don't fire up.

GOOD LUCK.:thumbsup:

Charge the battery...a fully charged battery will crank it over a bit faster, and also have slightly slightly more voltage....this will make a hotter spark, and the bike will start a bit easier. Did you pump the carbs full by turning the key ON and rocking the kill switch ON and OFF until the fuel pump quits pumping?? Is the bike level (on the center stand)? If it still won't start, I'd give it a small shot of gas or either spray (take the top of the air filter OFF and pull the air filter) directly in the carbs. But to have any chance of running correctly, you'll have to put the air filter back together....a great running Venture runs terrible without the air filter. Also, when you are trying to start it, turn the choke full ON, do NOT turn the throttle grip and crank for about 6-8 seconds. If you don't hear any life, open the throttle slightly above idle. Stop cranking and let the starter cool off for a minute or two so the starter can cool. Now open the choke and hold the throtle open flightly (about like a fast idle) and see what you get. Leave the charger ON while you're cranking to keep the voltage a bit higher. Also is the gas reasonably fresh?

Frank D.