IGNORED

$1,400.00 and still don't run

Only made one 600 mile trip last summer, due to other problems. But planning on hitting the road again this summer. Most likley will be heading down to Los Angeles, and Also touring some back roads, in Oregon State.

I might possibly make a Run to Minneapolis Minn. And check in with some old friends there.

The last 15 months or so, the only Mods, I have made to the 89 Venture, has been to Install an Icom IC-7000 Ham Radio Transciever, and duel antenna system for the HF Radio system. I have been fabricating Home Brew HF antenna,s for the Bike, and the ham radio installation in my Chevy Trail Blazer.

Anyway, after dealing with a lot of problems, I finally have fully functional HF Ham radio comm from the bike, on the road, in motion. 100 Watt System, operating 40, 20, 15, and 10 Meters. ( also, 2Meters, and 440 band ) But have to Change antennas for the different HF Frequency bands. ( IF your not a Ham Radio Operator, Ignor this information, won't mean anything to you !! )

Basicly, it was more trouble then it was worth, but--- I got it working. ( us retired guys have to do something to keep from going crazy )

Obvious Question here, is "" Batteries """ ??? -----I'm useing Two, DEKA, AGM Bats. Run them in Parallel. #2 battery is mounted in left side saddle bag.

Will be installing a new Dunlop E-4 this month, about 17K on the old one, and should be ready for the summer. Had the bike out yesterday for a 75 mile run, seems to be running great.

:whistling::whistling: :fingers-crossed-emo

If youre kicking around looking for something to do on July 1st weekend we would love to see you just over the border 90 minutes north of Idaho at Nelson BC during the Kruisn the Kootenays rally. www.kruisnthekootenays.ca

Brian

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George,

I'd like to see a picture of that installation. Did you tie it in with the radio/CB so you use the mike in your helmet, or did you keep that seperate? How well does the HF antenna work?

Frank--KA9J

The Venture runs again!!!

Turns out the problem was the carbs way out of sync. The so called "shop" turned the sync screws all the way in and screwed up the throttle cables.

Thanks for all the help and input from everyone. A big thanks to GeorgeS for all his help and patience.

The Venture runs again!!!

Turns out the problem was the carbs way out of sync. The so called "shop" turned the sync screws all the way in and screwed up the throttle cables.

Thanks for all the help and input from everyone. A big thanks to GeorgeS for all his help and patience.

I would seriously consider having a talk with the owner of the shop that charged you $1,400 to screw up your bike. In any motorcycle shop, doing a carb sync should be one of the most basic routines. This is why I do not have anything done to a bike or car at a shop.

I know that I am fortunate to have tools and basic mechanical skills. My son, Lil Venturous, and my grandson all learned to work on stuff at a young age. I even do my own front end alignment on cars and get great tire wear and they don't pull on flat roads. I have also rebuilt my own automatic transmissions.

RandyA

I tried talking with him last year. He told me I signed for the bike and it ran when I picked it up. His opinion was the carbs were to lean and I would have to pay him another carb job and buy new jets. I told him I was not stupid. The jets were fine for 120K and the bike ran fine averaging about 32-35mpg. When I picked up the bike it ran like crap and was getting 20mpg while running lean? What the heck. I don't think so.

Anyway, I could not get anywhere with him. I have no problem telling anyone the name of his shop.

Edited by bdlight4
addition