Been tearing down the VR to get to the thermostat and have a few choice words for the engineers. Since this is a family oriented site I won't say them.

Was the cooling system an afterthought or what?! If I didn't know any better I'd say this was designed by our government. One department designed the motor and another department designed the cooling system. Neither one consulted each other.:sick:

Finished with my rant, thank you.:confused24:

Went ahead and pulled the starter. I was under the impression the 1990 model would have the 4 brush starter, to my disappointment it was the 2 brush. The brushes have a lot of life in them still and the starter worked great before even when hot. I will review the ground mod I read about earlier and probably take that route.

I also relocated the TCI to the top of the battery box while in there.

I don't want to get too carried away on mods since funds are limited and the bike ran good except for the thermostat.

Been tearing down the VR to get to the thermostat and have a few choice words for the engineers. Since this is a family oriented site I won't say them.

Was the cooling system an afterthought or what?! If I didn't know any better I'd say this was designed by our government. One department designed the motor and another department designed the cooling system. Neither one consulted each other.:sick:

Finished with my rant, thank you.:confused24:

I had a similar rant a coupe of weeks ago when I did my starter.

What were they thinking!

This is one of those "putting 10 pounds of potatos on a 5 pound bag". Basically, there is a very limited amount of space to encompass several different systems. :detective:

RandyA

I think putting the thermostat where the temp sending unit is would have worked fine. Do they have the flow on these systems reversed compared to most? Flowing from the bottom of the radiator to the top?

This is one of those "putting 10 pounds of potatos on a 5 pound bag". Basically, there is a very limited amount of space to encompass several different systems. :detective:

RandyA

I agree. I have one very big beef about that thermostat housing. It is potentially exposed to road debris like, oh I don't know, rocks! And the friggin' thing is made of plastic! Again I ask, what were they thinking??!!

Thomas