IGNORED

Suspension Issue

I have recently picked up a Suzuki V-strom, and having a hard time getting back into the swing of things on the Venture.

These issues have always been there, but I overlooked them because it was my 1st bike.

(It is a 92 with 88,000 miles on it)

The venture feels a bit bouncy, like there is enough spring but not enough dampening on the front & rear. There is a sensation that is a bit disconcerting that the rear end of the bike feels disconnected from the front, it is as if it moves independently of the front, like something is looser than it should be. That is really the only way I know how to describe it. I notice it mostly when I go over a bump or a dip. Could the be because it does not have solid motor mounts? Does the frame actually flex? Or maybe I just need a new rear shock? ($$$'s) ouch. The ride reminds me a bit of one of those old 70's cars that weighed 4500lbs after the shocks would wear out a bit. Speed doesn't seem to matter.

I don't have experience with a well tuned (in better shape) Venture, so nothing to compare it to.

Thanks,

Brandon

Edited by saltcreep

Just a few thoughts:

Perhaps not enough air in the shocks?

Leaky O-rings on the compressor side or shock side of the air hose connections?

If the air is out of the shocks, front & rear, the front end will bottom out on even the softest of bumps & the rear will feel under damped.

I had both the above happen on my '89, replaced the O-rings at the compressor air hose connection, everything was fine afterwards. As added insurance, I installed a set of progressive suspension springs, front & rear. The front springs are designed to run w/o any air pressure & the rear will allow you to run about 10-15 psi less in the monoshock for any given weight setting.

I have heard of one or two Ventures that had a frame weld crack or break entirely, however, I don't believe it's a common issue.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Also, my front end was also quite "flexy" especially in hard corners. A superbrace fork brace took care of that.

• Make sure the rear shock damper control is set on #4
  • Make sure fork oil level is correct. I would change fork oil; you may want to try a 20W oil.
  • Check for loose steering head bearing and loose swingarm
  • Air pressure in shock, forks and tires

Earl

I got to thinking about something after posting this. My dampner knob has never worked right it will turn just a tiny bit , not much at all. It won't go into the highest position, does that little knob make very much difference?

I've tried it with low pressure & high pressure in the shocks.. the back and front don't leak at all. It is just a weird sensation it seems like the back end sort of swings a little after hitting a bump. I don't really know how to describe it, it may be the nature of the beast and I don't have anything else to compare it too.

I will go ahead and get the progressive from Skydoc & the fork brace too to see if that helps, they are certainly not very expensive and everyone says they noticed a big difference in the front after doing it.

I've got the wrench for the steering bearings , will do that this weekend... Hmm.. loose swing arm.. that might describe it, as it does feel like it is the rear moving too much..

How do I check that.. Just lift the rear end up with the center stand and try torquing it side to side maybe?

Looks like I've got homework this weekend :)

Thank you

My damper has been on 4 for many years. If I remember correctly there was just a small change from one setting to the next, but if you went from 1 to 4 you would be aware of the change for sure.

Maybe some one will post on this that has experimented with this and can remember better than me LOL.

Earl

Edited by mm482