IGNORED

Gettin' ready to trike

OldBear

Well old age and artheritis are taking their toll and I've got a hip that it giving me fits. In order to keep riding with the wife on back I'm looking at putting a trike kit on my Wing. (I'm getting to the point I'm not sure the leg is going to hold when I touch down at a stop on a full boat tourer with the wife on board, and I sure don't want to drop the darn thing). No problem solo on a light bike, but two up.... Anyway I'm looking pretty closely at the Roadsmith and the Hannigan. At this time I'm leaning toward a Roadsmith, but I'm headed to Hannigan's later this week to check them out up close. I'm looking for the most reliable and trouble free rig, and I like the automotive based components on the Roadsmith. Any thoughts, ideas, experiences? I'd appreciate your suggestions and ideas. Thanks!

Well old age and artheritis are taking their toll and I've got a hip that it giving me fits. In order to keep riding with the wife on back I'm looking at putting a trike kit on my Wing. (I'm getting to the point I'm not sure the leg is going to hold when I touch down at a stop on a full boat tourer with the wife on board, and I sure don't want to drop the darn thing). No problem solo on a light bike, but two up.... Anyway I'm looking pretty closely at the Roadsmith and the Hannigan. At this time I'm leaning toward a Roadsmith, but I'm headed to Hannigan's later this week to check them out up close. I'm looking for the most reliable and trouble free rig, and I like the automotive based components on the Roadsmith. Any thoughts, ideas, experiences? I'd appreciate your suggestions and ideas. Thanks!

I bet you'd get a more diverse response by posting this question on a GW site...

Here are a couple of links to a friend of mines custom trike shop. he will build anything you want. He has built all the different kits over the years. Give him a call and tell him I told you to call him and he will give you prefessional advice on the pros and cons of each kit and will expect nothing in return for the advice. For that matter he would build it for you. He also has 8 or 10 goldwing trikes already built and ready to go.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/D-G-Trikes/192031247568171?sk=info

http://www.dgtrikes.com/

I'm waiting for the Hannigan kit to be built/paint matched for my Venture. You're close to Murray and the Hannigan folks. I believe Hannigan uses automotive rear end. Whichever you choose I believe they are both good for us old timers. I'm having mine done because my left knee does not always fully support when I first get up from a seated position. And I have already had the Venture tip over with the wife aboard. Geez that thing is a bear to get back up!! :yikes:

California Sidecar makes an outstanding conversion kit for the Wing and you may want to look there as well! My Venture is a Hannigan hack and overall I'm pleased with it but have a couple of minor issues, mostly with the rear brakes. Mine has a T Bird rear end with Honda Accord transaxles but the stock rear master cylindr does not have enough volume for standard Accord calipers so they use Ducatti calipers mounted on custom brackets and use a special rotor. I am in the process of converting to a larger rear master and then switching to stock Accord rotors and calipers.

The Hannigan has independent rear suspension and a wide stance. I strongly recommend getting the front fork rake kit. Also check into a reserve gas tank. Their floorboards are really nice and strong!

More conversion choices for the Wing. Believe only the Hannigan conversion is available for the Ventures. Saw a Harley with a Hannigan conversion. It surely was a looker compared with the narrower Harley Tri-Glides. Our Hannigan dealer had a Wing with Hannigan that looked real nice. Had all the goodies on it.

As the guys have said there's a ton of trike manufactures for the Wings. Search them all out and then go for whichever one you like best that'll fit your pocketbook.

Looking forward to seeing what decision you make and the finished trike somewhere down the road.

Have fun looking and :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Well, I did it! A new Roadsmith trike kit is on order for the Wing. Supposed to ship week of April 9 (Dang time has slowed down since I ordered it....). I got it pretty well loaded up-the top line auto leveling suspension, custom wheels and the sidewinders (rear colorcoded bumpers) are the ONLY things it Doesn't have!. Got a decent price for what I'm getting compared to the others I'm looking at and can't wait to try it out! I'll keep ya posted!:fingers-crossed-emo