IGNORED

Jamaica Man

sleepy2

Ya man, the Jamaician Bobsleigh Team.

The Jamaican national bobsleigh team represents Jamaica in international bobsledding competitions. The team first gained fame during their debut in the 1988 Winter Olympic Games in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where they gained international fame as the ultimate underdogs, representing a tropical nation in a winter sport. The team's performance at the 1988 Olympics inspired the 1993 film Cool Runnings.

There are the usual touristy things like Dunns River Falls, the water is freezing cause it comes out of the mountains so be prepared if you do that picture. Most of the places have become all inclusive because it is just not safe to travel around on your own. It is a very poor economy and you will get totally accosted by the locals offering transportation, beading your hair, weed and just about everything else. Also be careful about eating the "jerked" food at any of the roadside stands. Best advice is don't venture outside of your resort after dark, and drink lots of Red Stripe!:fingers-crossed-emo

Have any of the advice givers eve been to Jamaica?

I've been there 5 times and it is one of my favorite places. Now granted, I have not been there for a few years - but I have always ventured off the beaten path. The people of Jamaica are the kindest warmest folks ever (and yes some will try to sell you things including ganja) but the further into town and away from the resorts and tourist spots you get the less and less there is of that.

Now... for things to do - if you want to test your haggling skills go to the 'straw market' but not when the cruise ships are in port... there are NO deals when the ships are in.

Dunns River Falls is fun - and cold as mentioned above.

Fern Gully - is a beautiful drive thru a rain forest.

River Rafting - a lazy drift down a river on a pole raft with a river guide.

A long drive to the east end of the island will take you to the 'wickedest city in the world' of pirate days near Port Antonio.

The west tip of the island is Negril - where no building can be taller than the tallest tree. Hedonism, Rick's Cafe, and cliff diving (broke my ribs doing that).

Take a tour of the rum distilleries or into the mountains and see the coffee plantations.

Or, just sit on the beach and soak up the sun and have servers bring you rum punch and Red Stripe.

Irie.

You are right Tooldood, after rereading my post, it did come off a little negative and thin on info. I pointed out not to be out after dark which is still the best advice but the day trips are awesome, the country is a beautiful place. The best places are the beaches. The hard part for a lot of folks is that it is a poor country by our standards and relies heavily on the tourist trade.There is a lot of crime and tourists are taken advantage of. My advice was meant to simply be careful as I put in the heading. To combat the problem, all inclusive resorts like Sandals, Hedonism, Plantation and many others have made beautiful places for a relaxing vacation that don't require anything but airport transportation. Some offer the day trips with experienced guides to the offsite areas of interest. The last time I was there, I hooked up with one of the "drivers" at the airport to be a guide for the week, he actually lived in Ocho Rios where the resort was and he was happy to be kept on retainer so he didn't have to hang at the airport which was a 2 hour trip. There were enough of us in the group to keep him busy. We got to see quite a bit off the beaten path and even I got nervous in Kingston. The resort brought in lots of local entertainment that was really awesome and the bars were always open. So as in anything it is what you make of it...just be careful and have a great trip and like Tooldood said Irie! :cool10: