IGNORED

Anyone Swapped Wiring Harness

Is it as bad as it looks like it'll be? What are some things i should look for? How many hours worth of work am i looking at? I'm going to switch to one that has a CB. This will probably be a doozy of a project, but ill start on it after i get my carbs redone and back on the bike :p

Does the donor have cruise?

How about the recipient?

If cruise is involved on one, there is some other things that need swapped.

Does one or both or neither have a gear position indicator on bottom of dash display?

By the way do this. I'm to old to remember what bikes you have.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58880

Gary

Does the donor have cruise?

How about the recipient?

If cruise is involved on one, there is some other things that need swapped.

Does one or both or neither have a gear position indicator on bottom of dash display?

By the way do this. I'm to old to remember what bikes you have.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58880

Gary

The bike that i have is an 83 royale. It has the neutral indicator, no cruise control, but does have a radio. I do not know what options the harness has, it was given to me by a member on the site

The bike that i have is an 83 royale. It has the neutral indicator, no cruise control, but does have a radio. I do not know what options the harness has, it was given to me by a member on the site

The connectors to the dash are different between the harnesses that have the standard 83 dash on them and ones that have the upgraded dash with gear indicator & stopwatch functions.

If harness came from a bike that had cruise, then your non cruise brake (2) & clutch switches will not fit it.

Rear harness connector to tail light & air compressor is different.

Gary

The connectors to the dash are different between the harnesses that have the standard 83 dash on them and ones that have the upgraded dash with gear indicator & stopwatch functions.

If harness came from a bike that had cruise, then your non cruise brake (2) & clutch switches will not fit it.

Rear harness connector to tail light & air compressor is different.

Gary

Is it possible to splice my current plugs into the new harness?

Just MHO, but splicing connectors in sounds like a prescription for trouble. Electrical problems aren't any fun. If you're going to go to the trouble to swap harnesses, I think you should find one that is made for your bike.

If you look at Pinwall Cycles' eBay store they have about 10 of them for the 1200's. You'd probably have to call and have them verify which model they came from to be sure you got the right thing. Worth the trouble and $ in my opinion.

Good luck!

Just MHO, but splicing connectors in sounds like a prescription for trouble. Electrical problems aren't any fun. If you're going to go to the trouble to swap harnesses, I think you should find one that is made for your bike.

If you look at Pinwall Cycles' eBay store they have about 10 of them for the 1200's. You'd probably have to call and have them verify which model they came from to be sure you got the right thing. Worth the trouble and $ in my opinion.

Good luck!

Makes sense to me !

Brad