IGNORED

Wobbely Goblin, sort of.

I'm new to this site, but to riding ( 30 + yrs). In April ' 07 I purchased a new '07 Venture. After today I still have less than 5,000 miles on it. I've begin to notice a little unsteadyness in the front end lately. This may be hard to explain exactly what I'm talking about, but I'll try; I've checked tire pressure and its OK. There is also zero pressure in both forks. When riding the bike and going into a curve (lean) I noticed that the front end feels ( scince I can't think of any other word ) wobbely, however the bike maintains complete stability when I let go the bars ( on the straight-a-ways of corse ). When I got home I checked the front end by shaking it back and forth. It seems to feel that the front forks are some what like noodles and that the wheel is lagging behind the handle bars. I've checked thr steering as best I could and there are no signs of any loose parts. I'll recheck the tire pressure again, but if anyone else has experienced this problem and there is a fix, please let me know.:stirthepot:

By the way pipe,we are going to do a ride originating from my home in Blanco,TX meeting up with others in Three Rivers on April 5th for the day..A mini poker run, Love to have you join us..All types of bikes there and really nice people to ride with. My number is in the Members directory or here it is if you wnat to save it to cell. I have AT&T wireless but more minutes than I can ever use so any call is OK with me....8307080314 Tom

Guest KitCarson

That is a tough one .........have to be standing there to actually see it....never saw or had a noodle action before!!! Not unless the front axle is out or loose??? Check that first........then get the front tire off the ground, check everything for tight fit.....including the side play tension.....handle bars should gently swing to the side with no rebound......that nut to tighten that is under the large nut middle of the bars......can use a screwdriver to tap and tighten that .......but if nothing is loose.....all is tight......some tires with very little mileage........can really act up in a corner.

You mention that you've checked the steering and it doesn't seem loose. Just how tight is it? The steering bearings should be tight enough that when the bike is up on a jack with the front wheel off the ground, the front end will stay wherever you put it, even off center. If it falls over towards a one stop or the other, it's too loose and it will cause this kind of problem. Y is really bad for not getting the steering bearings tight enough.

100 o/o correct. Sumpt'n I should know about them?

They just seem to get the wiggle cup a little sooner than other brands. It happens on these big tires from a lot of straight road riding.

Many on the forum refer to them as "Brickstones".

You mention that you've checked the steering and it doesn't seem loose. Just how tight is it? The steering bearings should be tight enough that when the bike is up on a jack with the front wheel off the ground, the front end will stay wherever you put it, even off center. If it falls over towards a one stop or the other, it's too loose and it will cause this kind of problem. Y is really bad for not getting the steering bearings tight enough.

That's what I would be checking right after the rear shock and before I ride. Pegscraper knows!!

Ive never run them but a friend had them and didnt get much mileage on them....I had Metzlers 880,kept the correct pressure in them but they started chunking rubber after 1700 miles,so went back to Avon Venoms..I personally will never run ANYTHING else but Avons. Some people on here have had good luck with Metz but I will never again use them.

Avon Venoms are a favorite, I like Metzlers but you're not allowed to say that on this site because a couple have come apart on folks. :no-no-no:

ONLY A COUPLE?

and some have "thrown chunks".

metzler, may make great tires, for smaller bikes, but i wouldn't put them on a touring bike, for all the tea in china.

just my opinion, gathered at this and other "big bike " sites.

just jt

You can say that Forrest....I've got metz....but I dont care for them now as they howl like a banshee in the corners.

Tires make a huge differance in handling and I have never seen anyone say they like the stock bridgestones. Air pressure in those tires also make a huge differance.

A little air in the front shock could do it as well. You would need to experiment with differant settings to see what you like best. Remember to use 0 loss hand pump and not more than 7lbs pressure in the front!

One more thing,The Metz did handle good but NOTHING like the Avons do..Today I scraped the hwy pegs I was in a curve so tight..( They are mounted pretty high up)I usually ride VERY conservative but I was following some guys and really didnt feel I was that far over but they hug sooo good.I had Dunlop 404s originally but didnt like the way they handled when I happened across a newly tore up road that had Grooves cut in it..They followed the grooves and scared me..The Avons for some reason do not,I dont know why.