IGNORED

repair manual 2011 rsv

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the use og the reference material. However compaired to the one I have for the kawasaki I just got rid of it stinks. Not ver discriptive on alot of thing. Like I was looking at replaqcing a headlight bulb. It directions wer basicly remove headlamp and replace bulb. Nothing about disasembling the front fairing or how to go about it. I'm thinking a Haynes or Clymer may still be a better bet adding to my library.

On a simular note, I read my owners manual say on oil changes @ 4K, service manual says 8K, so I stopped by dealer today gues what service mgr tells me? 3K Yea right I'm gonna plunk out $60 or something for them to change my oil and then I'm going to do it every 3K ? Not on a bet. I see no reason with syn oil why it cant go at least 5K with syn oil.

Thanks for the use og the reference material. However compaired to the one I have for the kawasaki I just got rid of it stinks. Not ver discriptive on alot of thing. Like I was looking at replaqcing a headlight bulb. It directions wer basicly remove headlamp and replace bulb. Nothing about disasembling the front fairing or how to go about it. I'm thinking a Haynes or Clymer may still be a better bet adding to my library.

On a simular note, I read my owners manual say on oil changes @ 4K, service manual says 8K, so I stopped by dealer today gues what service mgr tells me? 3K Yea right I'm gonna plunk out $60 or something for them to change my oil and then I'm going to do it every 3K ? Not on a bet. I see no reason with syn oil why it cant go at least 5K with syn oil.

You're probably ok extending to 5,000 miles with synth oil and filter changes. It takes all of 10 minutes to do yourself. Walmart has everything I need. I usually do it at 4,000miles but the oil is quite clean when it comes out

also, the service manual probably has how to disassemble the fairing to get at the headlight bulb in another chapter. And there are some mistakes in it. I use both the Yamaha and a Clymer and compare them for anything I want to do. And check the tech section of this forum as well.

Edited by RandyR

As Don already stated, the bikes have not changed since 1999, and AFAIK, they have never produced a new service manual. The one we have includes lots of errors, but it gets the job done.

As to the service interval, the first three years or so were set at 8,000 miles (see the individual user manuals); that's why the 1999 shop manual uses the 8,000 mile interval. Somewhere around 2003 they changed it to 4,000 mile intervals. Since the bikes didn't change, I always suggest that even early RSV owners follow the shorter interval unless they are running synthetic oil.

A dealer advising 3,000 mile intervals is just clearly announcing his desire to steal from his customers.

Goose

If I can go the 5K I"ll look at running syn, if I have to satay at the 4K for warranty issues I'll probably go Dino till its out.For me the 1000 mile difference will be like an extra oil change a year probably. And at the difference between costs it makes a difference to me. I figured the same with the service mgr, he's just trying to drum up bussiness.

I tried to get up in behind the fairing the other night. No go best I could do was unplug the headlight.