IGNORED

Brake fluid contaminate plastic

My clutch master cylinder has leaked onto my left side fairing weakening some of the plastic on the bottom. I have a replacement top panel, but more worried about the fairing shell. It has broken off a tab , and it "feels" oily.

Is there anything I can do, or is it best to just bite the bullet and try and replace this fairing (ebay). I just don't know if plastic welding/glue/plastex, etc.. would work when it is contaminated like this.... I have the shell removed and can post pictures if that helps. Just was wondering if anyone had dealt with this before and had found something that works.

Hey Brandon,

I don't often "rat myself out", but one of the most sickening things I have ever done to a First Gen. VR was to spill brake fluid on my left side fairing on my first VR. It was an 86', and my pride and joy. I washed off the main fairing right away with soap and water, but didn't realize it had migrated down to the "L" shaped lower fairing leg. When I came out to my bike the next morning, the lower fairing leg had softened so much, it was "sagging".

I bought this 86'VR in 91, and you could still get these plastic parts. (for a whopping $200.00!) but to this day, when ever I am working on a bike and using brake fluid, I have soap and water, and lots of cover cloths handy. Brake fluid is like "Kryptonite" to me.

I have a left side fairing from an 87'VR Standard, it is blue, but not the 92'VR blue. The plastic is in very good to excellent condition if you are interested. I do feel your pain on this one brother.:confused24:

Earl