IGNORED

maps or gps

heatonmt

Dennis, I currently have a 2610 and after using it for 2 seasons on the bike I wouldn't be without a GPS. I'm considering getting a Zumo and since you have experience with both models I would like to hear any pros or cons Zumo vs. 2610. I've been researching the Zumo and have read that it is "dumbed down" compared to the 2610 as far as POI's and general routing goes. It obviously has added features compared to the 2610 and that's what has my attention. How's the MP3 feature, is there any adjustments (equalizer, etc.) or is it pretty much hit play and you get what you get? Also, how do you like the 3D view on the Zumo? Thanks for any info you can provide. Larry

Well Teri went out and got me a GPS for Christmas. So for you that have them are they that much better then a map. If yes how do you mount them on the bike. Bike or truck I just cant make you my mind.

:7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]:

I use my Zumo all the time. It's great! My previous GPS went out on me in the middle of nowhere one time. I wasn't prepared for that. I managed to find gas before I ran out and bought a paper map to get me back on tract. I always keep a few paper maps in the trunk now.

Dennis, I currently have a 2610 and after using it for 2 seasons on the bike I wouldn't be without a GPS. I'm considering getting a Zumo and since you have experience with both models I would like to hear any pros or cons Zumo vs. 2610. I've been researching the Zumo and have read that it is "dumbed down" compared to the 2610 as far as POI's and general routing goes. It obviously has added features compared to the 2610 and that's what has my attention. How's the MP3 feature, is there any adjustments (equalizer, etc.) or is it pretty much hit play and you get what you get? Also, how do you like the 3D view on the Zumo? Thanks for any info you can provide. Larry

I wouldn't consider it dumbed down as compared to the 2610. It has a few missing points but so did my 2610. The menus take some getting used to when coming from the 2610. I sometimes thought the 2610 was easier to negotiate but once I got use to them it's not been a big deal. I think the MP3 player is just a player with no tonal controls. I rarely use the MP3 player since I have the XM. I control the sound with the bikes radio tone controls. I can't answer your question about the 3D maps because I switched mine to 2D the first day I had it and haven't switched it back. A big plus for the Zumo is the ability to add POIs from a list. That's how I added all of the motorcycle dealers. I don't think the 2610 could do that.

Dennis

It's as safe as you allow it to be. If you fiddle with it while underway you can certainly get into trouble.

Yes, they're great to get just about anywhere. Only problems I've had is when there is new construction that I need to navigate that hasn't made the map updates yet (rare).

Yes, pipe in through helmet. I also have an MP3 player on mine and play it via the Aux input as someone else suggested above. Works like a charm.

If you really want distraction, get one with bluetooth. Then you can hook your phone up to it as well!

Good luck! :happy34:

Guest KitCarson

Wow!! I am really convinced now:bighug: So what is the best model out there? I do not care about music.....music to me is the bike motor and the pipes......do not care about the cell phone.....that goes in the trunk, I do not play with buttons other than the CB instinct one on the bar.........I think I do like the TomTom Rider 2.........is that a good choice.........or is there a better one I am not aware of? how about polorized sunglasses.........bright sun and screen visibility.........that is my only remaining question...........Thanks ..all of you.......Kit

I wouldn't consider it dumbed down as compared to the 2610. It has a few missing points but so did my 2610. The menus take some getting used to when coming from the 2610. I sometimes thought the 2610 was easier to negotiate but once I got use to them it's not been a big deal. I think the MP3 player is just a player with no tonal controls. I rarely use the MP3 player since I have the XM. I control the sound with the bikes radio tone controls. I can't answer your question about the 3D maps because I switched mine to 2D the first day I had it and haven't switched it back. A big plus for the Zumo is the ability to add POIs from a list. That's how I added all of the motorcycle dealers. I don't think the 2610 could do that.

Dennis

Thanks for the info, Dennis.

My wife bought me a Garmin C330 for Christmas. The only thing I don't like about it so far is that you cannot upload custom maps into it. Would've loved the Zumo but this was a couple hundred $ less. I have used it in my cage the past few days and I really like it. I think the audio is probably loud enough for the bike but if not I will run it through the AUX. There is a mount for this and other GPS at

http://www.mountguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RAM%2DB%2D149Z%2DGA19

They also have visors for GPS on this site. Looking forward to some long rides in the Spring!

I have the Zumo 550. It has the ability to add traffic and XM Radio. It has an MP3 player and Bluetooth capability if you hook it up to a headset and phone. I commute 90 miles a day and the phone feature is pretty important to me as well as the traffic. I have the Scala Rider headset for the phone and the quality is awesome. The GPS gives me all the information I need while never having to take my eyes off the road or hands off the grips. I highly recommend the Zumo 550. I have a friend with the TomTom Rider. It's a pretty good unit but he says he has trouble reading the display in the sunlight. I don't have that problem with the Garmin.

Another benefit I found completely by accident was when I was in rural GA in some pretty heavy fog. The ability to anticipate changes in road direction and to not need to look for road signs was awesome. I've found this to be some of the best money I've ever spent.

I bought a Pioneer unit before my 8k mile trip this summer and was happy with it but I learned to always keep a map on the tank as backup! It did try to turn me down dirt roads even though I told it to ignore dirt roads. I don't think it knows the difference very well. I'm not sure how to update it either.

Guest KitCarson

Well after spending three hours on the computer and reading this review, and that one....and looking at prices......and the fact I do not have any wish for a lot of the stuff the zumo 550 has.......and the fact the TomTom seems to have a hard to work on off switch........and the Garmin is just simply higher rated.......I have went for the Garmin Zumo 450. I think it will do all I would ever want one to do...and then some........now when it gets here I will have to get one of my kids to show me how it works:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

So where are all of you hooking up the main wiring? Into the fairing? Running all the way back to the battery.......? Oh in case anyone else is looking for one.....the 450 is available through Amazon for $429.00.

Guest KitCarson

I bought a Pioneer unit before my 8k mile trip this summer and was happy with it but I learned to always keep a map on the tank as backup! It did try to turn me down dirt roads even though I told it to ignore dirt roads. I don't think it knows the difference very well. I'm not sure how to update it either.

HI Todd.....I am a dummie when it comes to computers and electronics.......but I am told by one of my friends that yes all GPS can be updated.......sometimes it costs a little bit.......to access the site and download the data.......Solution.......I will give it to one of my kids once a year and let them do that........they can do stuff like that before I can even understand what has happened.

Guest tx2sturgis

I have said before that GPS units are great LOCATION devices, but not real good as NAVIGATION devices.

If you use some common sense, you will do fine. They can help YOU navigate by knowing exactly where you are. Most of the time, on secondary roads and city level streets, they do OK...but many times, on interstate freeways, with multi level interchanges, and entrance and exit ramps, and various stages of construction that go on all year long in many parts of the country, you will need to ignore what the GPS tells you sometimes. Often mine will indicate a right turn, when that particular turn requires a left exit on a ramp then a loop or 'fly over' type ramp to end up going the proper direction..the problem there is I have been in the wrong lane to get to the exit in time.... Sometimes it will indicate a turn when the proper thing to do is just stay in your lane.

It is useful in unfamiliar areas to make sure you havent passed your intended turn, or when it is dark, or in foggy or hazy conditions, or other times when the situation is tough.

Sometimes the GPS is just plain wrong. I have seen mine indicate exits where there were none, and also indicate no exit when the signs tell you to exit for the particular road your trying to use.

I have occasionally been fooled by the unit telling me to take such and such road, going right through a town, when the bypass is there and the signs tell you to use it for through town traffic.

Again, it is a tool, but not perfect. The GPS is only as good as the map datum it relies on, and road construction changes things all the time.

With the distractions they can cause, and the confusion sometimes, I dont really recommend them, but I dont discount them either. If you want one, buy it, but just be ready to be dazed and confused in a hightech fashion.

True the GPS can be wrong from time to time . But sometimes it leads into another adventure , so have fun . Also the fact , you can call the GPS all sorts of @#/+&* names and get away with it . Now tell that to the navigator if she is wrong .:starz::ignore::Avatars_Gee_George:

:rotf::rotf:

BEER30

Yep, GPS boxes can be wrong. Then again, I have had a lot of maps that hadn't kept up with the construction as well. I have also had people tell me in all seriousness that you can't miss the turn because there is a BIG ole sign there. You can miss said turn if there is a big ole truck parked right in front of the sign, but don't ask me how I know.

Even with the hassles of sometimes having outdated data, the GPS will continually try to get you back on path. That is really important for people like me that continue to insist we know better.

By the way, I am not so much an international traveller as an international get-loster.

Kit, I have had my Zumo 450 for about nine months on my 05 RSTD, put on 23K this summer. I hard wired the unit directly to the battery. When I bought my 07 Venture, the dealer ran the wiring through the 12V acc plug under the seat, unfortunately the fuse was blown and I wasn't aware of it.

I ended up draining the GPS battery and wasn't able to get it started again.

Garmin were great and replaced for free. If you hard wire you will always have to turn off the unit, but at least you won't run down the GPS battery.

The Zumo doesn't draw that much juice, I have left it on for a couple of hours and had no problems starting the bike

Kit, I have had my Zumo 450 for about nine months on my 05 RSTD, put on 23K this summer. I hard wired the unit directly to the battery. When I bought my 07 Venture, the dealer ran the wiring through the 12V acc plug under the seat, unfortunately the fuse was blown and I wasn't aware of it.

I ended up draining the GPS battery and wasn't able to get it started again.

Garmin were great and replaced for free. If you hard wire you will always have to turn off the unit, but at least you won't run down the GPS battery.

The Zumo doesn't draw that much juice, I have left it on for a couple of hours and had no problems starting the bike

I assume you mean the internal battery in the GPS was drained and you couldn't get the GPS going again. My 550 occaisionally goes brain dead and won't power on. There is a reset button sequence that brings it back to life. You push the power button and the upper left button at the same time and hold them for a few seconds and then it powers on. The first time that happened I was ready to send the thing back. Before I did that I did a little research and found the reset method.

Dennis

My battery on the 550 went dead after about 10 months. Would not take a charge but the unit worked fine as long as it had dc power. Garmin sent me a new unit to fix it and I even got updated maps on it.

My unit is about 7 months old and I just received a free update to the maps which I installed last night. So far I haven't noticed any difference.

DT

Well after spending three hours on the computer and reading this review, and that one....and looking at prices......and the fact I do not have any wish for a lot of the stuff the zumo 550 has.......and the fact the TomTom seems to have a hard to work on off switch........and the Garmin is just simply higher rated.......I have went for the Garmin Zumo 450. I think it will do all I would ever want one to do...and then some........now when it gets here I will have to get one of my kids to show me how it works:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

So where are all of you hooking up the main wiring? Into the fairing? Running all the way back to the battery.......? Oh in case anyone else is looking for one.....the 450 is available through Amazon for $429.00.

You might sill want to consider the 550. It comes with both the motorcycle and car cradles. I seem to remember someone doing a comparison and if you plan to use the unit on both scooter and in car/truck, best buy was the 550. Might be wrong but worth checking out.

They gave me an updated software also. Its running version 3.60. Kinda weird that I have not seen that on the web site yet.

version 3.80 is on the Garmin website now.

Guest KitCarson
You might sill want to consider the 550. It comes with both the motorcycle and car cradles. I seem to remember someone doing a comparison and if you plan to use the unit on both scooter and in car/truck, best buy was the 550. Might be wrong but worth checking out.

version 3.80 is on the Garmin website now.

Er,,,um....er.....too late now!! 450 is on the way......shipped out this morning. But just in case I was to want it in the car....I did order a car bracket to go with it......it was like 26 bucks for the little bracket. Even the 450 has stuff I have no need for....such as the MP3 player.........but liked the screen brightness for the Garmin over the TomTom and also the fact updates are free.....and the maps are updated often. I also have a Garmin depth finder on my boat....it is a quality unit........have no complaints with it. So the Garmin won this time. I think I will like this thing. Like tomorrow......I have this sheet of paper printed out on how to get to the meet in NC. I have to pull over and read the paper.......go to the next road......by the time I find that one I have forgotten the next one!!! Have to pull over again......I think this seems to occur more and more as each birthday comes around!! I need something that says hey stupid just go that way!!