IGNORED

I love a good deal :)

saltcreep

My ride is a 92 Yamaha venture , old plastic bike a bit rough around the edges, but I like the way it rides.

It was treated pretty roughly in its life I think and some of the plastic was a bit rough and it was missing all of the amenities because it was a police bike.

Picked up a parts bike for $500 this weekend.. that all the electronics are present on, lots of extra amenities, like drivers backrest, trailer hitch, etc.. Wasn't supposed to run, but it is running. Would only run on choke at 1st , but after a can of sea foam it is getting better slowly but surely, no idea of the shape of the carbs / carb diaphragms. I am sure the carbs need cleaning. Sat up for a long time I think , the clutch and brakes need to be rebuilt, It has zero clutch right now. But this bike wasn't supposed to work really ,so this is all a bonus :)

I think I am still going with my original plan though and use the parts from it to fix mine up, but man, I'm pleased as punch to find another one for a good deal.. I didn't have a radio, cb, intercom stuff or any of that.

http://www.haveparrotwilltravel.com/gallery2/albums/userpics/%21033.jpg

You may find that the wiring harness on your standard rider does not have all the connections you need for the extra bells and whistles.

So you could end up having to R&R the wiring harness...which I would think is a biggie!

At least that is what I was told when I asked here about upgrading my 84 standard.

I never did investigate further....I ended up buying an 88VR with all the goodies so I just sold the 84

Trader, my bike is a Royale, but it looks like maybe they cut some of the connectors when they removed the accessories, so the wiring may be a bit of a pita. I don't know if the bike came with the accessories and they removed them when it was converted to a service bike, or if it just didn't come with them.. but I'm finding wires with no connectors where there should be.. UGH

I only have enough room to move around because I took my wifes car out of the garage to give me more room to play, at least for the weekend ;) They're all crammed together usually.

PS: The disassembled bike in the background is actually my 92 / driver, guess that is confusing, the one in the foreground is the parts bike, and I just stuck the trunk/bags on there to take a picture, it came naked.

OK swapping out the wiring harness does require stripping the bike down to the frame and pulling your battery box to get to all the connectors, and removing the headlight assembly as well, but it is not impossible or difficult, just very time consuming. Part of me thinks you should just swap out your carbs and replace the o rings on the intake manifolds and turn your daily driver into the parts bike...

Part of me thinks you should just swap out your carbs and replace the o rings on the intake manifolds and turn your daily driver into the parts bike...

I'd do it , if the parts bike didn't have a salvage title. I did some research today on what it takes to title one in Alabama that is marked as salvage and boy what a pita.

Need a rebuilders license (fee $100), plus insurance for my garage, itemized receipts that have notary stamps for each thing replaced... $10,000 bond, etc etc... Wonderful governmental hogwash getting in the way of common sense.