IGNORED

Kawasaki KLR 650

Kirby

My son has always had some kind of 4 wheeler and yesterday I got the wild idea to getting a dual purpose bike for riding the dirt roads around here.. I'm thinking I may trade my Vmax for something like this. Not really serious yet, just thinking.

I've had one for a couple of years. Most fun bike I own. Reliable as an anvil and really easy to work on. Doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but does everything 'good enough'. Accessories are cheap and plentiful.

Will be setting up mine this winter for my Alaska trip next year.

Are you looking to buy new or used? There are different things to look for 1985-2007, and 2008+.

RR

Hey Kirby,

Dual purpose bikes, for putting around on back roads, wether dirt or blacktop, Totally ROCK... I had a SUZUKI DRZ400

On Interstates it was underpowered...

Oh hill climbs/desents it was way to heavy and always found the ruts(couldn't hold a line)....

Forget the flat & motorcross tracks as it's not fast enough to keep up and heavy enough to get someone hurt.

there were a couple KLR 650's entered in the races at Barber when I went a couple years ago. they did ok against the vintage bikes in their class - Triumphs, BSA'a, Nortons, etc. I'm not sure how they qualified for the vintage races, but there they were.

I came real close to buying a KLR 650 2+ years ago but eventually I bought a smaller Suzuki DR200. But I only have to ride about 3 miles to be on Forest Service roads.

I know back in the day, Kawasaki was always tough. Next to Yamaha I've kinda favored them. From the age of 17 to 37, I always had some type of MX or Enduro bike sitting by the back door. Don't know a whole lot about them anymore since they all gave up 2 strokes.

Are you looking to buy new or used? There are different things to look for 1985-2007, and 2008+.

I was thinking about working out a trade if possible. What are the different things that I should be looking for?

On the first Gen (2007 and previous) they often have trouble with the cam chain tensioner (called a Dohickey in KLR-speak). The tensioner spring weakens and/or the dohickey just breaks. A replacement is under $100 (tensioner and spring) and you can get the tools required from both KLR websites. They have traveling Doo-Tools. Just ask the seller if the Doo has been done. He will know what you mean. If it hasn't been done, it can sound like a handful of marbles in the engine (if the stock doo is failing/dead). There are other minor things that are easy to fix/upgrade just like with any bike.

On the 2008+ 2nd gen models - Early version of the 2008 models has a poor oil ring design and they burned oil. Some as much as a qt per 1000 miles. This can be fixed by either changing out the ring with the newer design or upgrading to a 685 kit. Neither is a simple repair. The 2008s also had a couple of recalls. First was for loose muffler bolts and the second was for rerouting/covering the wire harness. There were a couple of places the wiring harness would rub and cause a grounding problem.

Other than that, they are pretty bullet proof. The seat leaves much to be desired (especially the 1st Gen) but there are several aftermarket seats available and cheap Walmart (ATV) seat pads that fit. If you are going to be doing any serious highway miles or some gnarly trails, you will do well to get a fork brace ($120 IIRC) and possibly change the front fender to an inexpensive Acerbis or KTM fender.

Then there is the T-Mod, the 22cent mod, the ThermoBob, drilling the slide, $2 cruise control, defenderization, deCalifornication (removing the CA mandated charcoal canister), Scott oilers, windshield mods, Nerf bars, shark fins, skid plates, oil cooler guard, headlight guard, panniers and racks, tool tubes,......., the list goes on and on (just like with any bike). None of these are necessary.

You will have nothing but smiles with this simple bike. I have a 2008 (no oil problem) and have done most of these mods myself (still need to do the T-Mod and oiler). Get about 45-50 mpg and can run highway speeds for hours on end (although that is not the KLR's strength). For pounding around country roads, gravel roads, and fire trails it is great.

They are a pack mule. GVWR is something like 400-450 lbs. Even with an oversized guy like myself it still leaves 150+ lbs of capacity for carrying stuff. Great for motocamping.

Just be prepared to be made fun of for being cheap. KLR owners are known to use Walmart as our farkle store. Some have been accused of dumpster diving behind dealers for old tires that still had a few miles left.

RR

We have a 2007 with 35K miles on it. Half that mileage was a Seattle - Panama - Seattle trip

Mine is geared tall at 17-43 and will get 60 mpg at 60 mph and got 17,000 miles out of the Avon Distanza tires

Agree with all the "RR" states except I would put a bit more emphasis on the 2008 oil consumption issue. Why? Because I rebuilt one for a Dutch Guy in Guatamala that was down to 400 miles per qt. You''ll get no support from Kawasaki to fix it.

Same with the balancer chain tensioner issue. In fact Kawasaki deny there is an issue to this day....there surely is, mine broke and I had to fish it out of the crankcase in 5 pieces with a magnet.

Overall a great bike, many have been ridden round the world. We intend ride ours to Ushuaia in the next couple of years too.

Any questions please ask

TH

Guest tx2sturgis
On the first Gen (2007 and previous) they often have trouble with the cam chain tensioner (called a Dohickey in KLR-speak). The tensioner spring weakens and/or the dohickey just breaks. A replacement is under $100 (tensioner and spring) and you can get the tools required from both KLR websites. They have traveling Doo-Tools. Just ask the seller if the Doo has been done. He will know what you mean. If it hasn't been done, it can sound like a handful of marbles in the engine (if the stock doo is failing/dead). There are other minor things that are easy to fix/upgrade just like with any bike.

On the 2008+ 2nd gen models - Early version of the 2008 models has a poor oil ring design and they burned oil. Some as much as a qt per 1000 miles. This can be fixed by either changing out the ring with the newer design or upgrading to a 685 kit. Neither is a simple repair. The 2008s also had a couple of recalls. First was for loose muffler bolts and the second was for rerouting/covering the wire harness. There were a couple of places the wiring harness would rub and cause a grounding problem.

Other than that, they are pretty bullet proof. The seat leaves much to be desired (especially the 1st Gen) but there are several aftermarket seats available and cheap Walmart (ATV) seat pads that fit. If you are going to be doing any serious highway miles or some gnarly trails, you will do well to get a fork brace ($120 IIRC) and possibly change the front fender to an inexpensive Acerbis or KTM fender.

Then there is the T-Mod, the 22cent mod, the ThermoBob, drilling the slide, $2 cruise control, defenderization, deCalifornication (removing the CA mandated charcoal canister), Scott oilers, windshield mods, Nerf bars, shark fins, skid plates, oil cooler guard, headlight guard, panniers and racks, tool tubes,......., the list goes on and on (just like with any bike). None of these are necessary.

You will have nothing but smiles with this simple bike. I have a 2008 (no oil problem) and have done most of these mods myself (still need to do the T-Mod and oiler). Get about 45-50 mpg and can run highway speeds for hours on end (although that is not the KLR's strength). For pounding around country roads, gravel roads, and fire trails it is great.

They are a pack mule. GVWR is something like 400-450 lbs. Even with an oversized guy like myself it still leaves 150+ lbs of capacity for carrying stuff. Great for motocamping.

Just be prepared to be made fun of for being cheap. KLR owners are known to use Walmart as our farkle store. Some have been accused of dumpster diving behind dealers for old tires that still had a few miles left.

RR

I love this style of writing. Tells the tale, includes the facts, sprinkle in some humor, mixed articulately together. I dont even own one of those bikes and this was a fun read.

:happy34:

We have a 2007 with 35K miles on it. Half that mileage was a Seattle - Panama - Seattle trip

Mine is geared tall at 17-43 and will get 60 mpg at 60 mph and got 17,000 miles out of the Avon Distanza tires

Agree with all the "RR" states except I would put a bit more emphasis on the 2008 oil consumption issue. Why? Because I rebuilt one for a Dutch Guy in Guatamala that was down to 400 miles per qt. You''ll get no support from Kawasaki to fix it.

Same with the balancer chain tensioner issue. In fact Kawasaki deny there is an issue to this day....there surely is, mine broke and I had to fish it out of the crankcase in 5 pieces with a magnet.

Overall a great bike, many have been ridden round the world. We intend ride ours to Ushuaia in the next couple of years too.

Any questions please ask

TH

Take me with you. :smile5:

RR