IGNORED

RK mufflers

Sorry about any redundancy on this subject but if I don't ask, I don't know. I'm a new venture owner and trying to absorb as much info as possible. Just obtained HD mufflers with the following part #'s 65591-07 and 65592-07. I seem to remember reading something about not using the the ones ending in 07. Can someone shed some light on this for me.

Is it related to having cats and if so, would I still be able to use them if I removed the cat. Thanks, Al

If I remember correctly the later mufflers have a catalytic converter in them. I also think?? the 07 is the year of the bike the muffs came off of. I also think?? I read somewhere?? that the converter can be removed.... Me thinks I think too much.... :)

Thank you Condor, my hope is that it can be removed if in there. I would welcome any directions on how to go about this.

I found this on another board with references. From what I can gather it ain't easy...

CVOHARLEY.com has it all explained. The (2) methods used are a 1.6" core drill bit or cutting the collector in half, removing the CAT and re-welding collector. Cutting the collector seems to be the choice for complete removal of CAT. The 2010's have another issue as the O2 sensors are located right at the collector and with the CAT removed causing issues with cross-talk between sensors. All this info is on the CVOHARLEY.com website.

And now that I re-read it, they're refering to collectors.... Don't know if that's 'Harley Talk' for mufflers or not....

I posted a long time ago about how to remove the cat. I removed mine. It's easily done with a drill press.

I got an aircraft drill, (long drill bit) about 1/4" or so, and drilled a series of holes, as close to one another as possible around the OD of the cat, then with a pipe, simply pounded it out.

Hope that helps,

BTW, to clarify years of the cat, mine came out of my BIL's 06 road king.

Steve