IGNORED

Florida Tour Routes. Any ideas??

Midnight

I sent my bike to Florida this year with a friend who was taking his truck and trailer down with him to his winter home. It will be down there until April when he will bring it back, unless I ride it back.

His home is in the Titusville area. We plan on flying down a couple of times through the winter, the first one being in early December for around 10 days.

So I am hoping there are some Florida members or others who could offer some suggestions for routes and neat things to see (other than the normal Orlando stuff). We plan on doing the Florida Keys for sure and wonder whether following the Atlantic shoreline down would be worth it or if we should simply follow the Florida turnpike or I-95. We are also considering heading North towards Jacksonville and Savanah Ga and then over to Macon, Ga and back down. I always try to avoid interstates, so if anyone has any ideas for routes to and from these areas I would love to hear from them.

Thanks JR

When you get down here give me a call, I am in Port St Lucie, not far from Titiusville, and there is lots of good riding to be done. Also in March, if you are still around there are a few folks puttin togather a Key West ride and looks to be a quite a few people interested so that can be a fun get-togather. as far as rides, A1A on the east coast is a nice ride, and the ride around Lake Okeechobee is also good for a day, but watch yourself on HWY 27 going through Moore Haven on the west side of Lake O, they pay their bills with speeding tickets, and the speed limit is 35, PERIOD... and also watch yourself on the turnpike, if you have to stop and pay the toll, extremely OILY at the toll boths, so be careful.

Take A1A North through Jacksonville towards Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach. Be sure to stop in Mayport and eat at Singletons Seafood. You can't miss it, you have to take a ferry to cross the St. Johns River and Singletons is right there. Not sure about a return trip, I would take the same route back.

Edited by SC89Venture
Called out wrong river to cross

Run A1A north from the Daytona area through St Augustine, where there are plenty of sights to see. Follow A1A further north over the Vilano bridge. If you make a right turn at the light there is a great little restaurant there called "Over the Ditch" that has some fantastic food. Breakfast and lunch only though. Make a left at the light instead and you have a real nice 40 mile ride along the ocean into Jacksonville. I would suggest the ferry across the St Johns river from Mayport but there is talk going on right now about the state shutting it down. 9A north will take you over the Dames Point Bridge where you can exit at the bottom and make a right to continue on A1A N which is another breathtaking ride along the ocean. This will take you past Amelia island right up into Fernandina Beach. Head downtown and you will find a fudge/ice cream shop on the left. Best ice cream around.Plus plenty of shops to explore. There is also a fort there as well. Jump on 95 N for a few exits and you will end up in GA. Follow 17N for a non 95 route to Savannah. If you do make it to Savannah, stay off of River rd with the bike. Its heavily cobble stoned with train tracks running through it. It was a nightmare for me.

I am just up the road frim T-ville, in Edgewater, try touring the center of the state over in Lake, Sumter, Pasco, Hernando and Marion counties. Very nice scenary and actually a few hills with some twisties if you know where to find them.

Mount Dora is a nice place to ride to and poke around.

I have some routes mapped out on PDF for various areas, send me your email address and I can send them to you.

Good idea staying away from the interstates. I haven't done the atlantic route, but hear it is good, but slow.

In the center of the state, away from interstates is some good open riding. Everyone stays on the super slabs and if you get into the country, you get some good easy riding.

Even in the southern tip, known as "flatistan", there is fun to be had.

When down to the Keys, plan on crossing to the gulf side. But first take the road from Homestead down to Flamingo and back. Then cross to the West on 41. At 29 turn south to Everglades City and eat at the Rod and Gun club. WELL worth the stop. Then keep going on 29 to Chokoloskee. ON the way back, take 29 north to Ave Maria, a Catholic community that is worth visiting. Brand new, interesting food and shopping in the town square. I am not Catholic and found it worth the ride.

Then cut over at some point to Marco and Naples. Wander back to the interior and go to the south end of lake Okeechobee. Although it may look interesting to ride all the way around, don't, not much to see, but visit the dam and park on the south end for a nice stop and break.

Those are some of the places I have been on a few visits. have fun, explore!

I am just up the road frim T-ville, in Edgewater, try touring the center of the state over in Lake, Sumter, Pasco, Hernando and Marion counties. Very nice scenary and actually a few hills with some twisties if you know where to find them.

Mount Dora is a nice place to ride to and poke around.

I have some routes mapped out on PDF for various areas, send me your email address and I can send them to you.

M61A1MECH, are any of those routes around the Pensacola or Gonzalez area my Dad lives in Cantonment may have to go visit. :cool10:

Hiway 17 north from Deland turns into a nice 2 lane road. Hiway 19 north of Eustis is a good road. Takes you into the Ocala Forest. Hiway 44 east of Deland and hiway 42 are both good. If you go across 42 towards Weirsdale head north on 25 to Ma Barkers and Gator Joes.

314 is another nice road in the Forest. Anytime you ride through the Oacla Forest, keep an eye out for bears running in front of you. This has happened to my wife and I.

Heading to Key West, we like to take 441 south from Hiway 192. Takes you around Lake Okeechobee. You can pick up Hiway 27 go south to Krome Ave (sp?). Watch your gas not to many places to stop last time I was through.