IGNORED

Useful tool...

darthandy

As I prepare for my electrical work on the bike (Relays, ignition bypass) I was trying to find some way to tap into the 10 gauge ignition wiring but no one around here seems to have a useful connector and I can't really afford a 150 W to 200 W soldering gun. So, as I perused the soldering / welding section of our nearby Canadian Tire store, I ran across a mini butane torch called the Iroda Micro-Jet on sale for $7.99 and claiming to put out a 2,400 F. flame. I bought one and used it to solder two 10 gauge wires together and it seems to have done a great job. It only took a few seconds to heat up the wires enough for the solder to start flowing.

Now...a warning here...this is a flame - a small one - but a flame none the less and a hot one at that. It will quickly melt or set fire to many materials so you have to be extremely careful where and how you use it. Still, I can see it being handy for soldering jobs that are "in the open". As well, I noticed that there was a "fire preventing" gel for sale in the same department. It's used to coat material near where a flame is being used to avoid damaging the material. I think I'll buy some and do some experimenting...this could prove to be useful. And another nice thing...the fuel cell for the torch is a standard disposable lighter...available everywhere for peanuts. The packaging states that a lighter is good for about twenty minutes of use. You can even adjust the temperature (To a certain extent) by using the adjustment switch on the lighter. Say, I wonder how well it works for starting camp fires?

Edited by darthandy
spelling error

No thanks. I don't wanna burn my bike up.

I have a soldering iron, an adjustable soldering station, a soldering gun, and a butane soldering iron. You can get a cheap soldering iron for about the same price you paid for that thing.

Just my 2 cents.

While that may work pretty good on occasion I'm with Monty on this one. Open flames around bike is a bad mix. I feel it's much better to use the proper tools, whether that is an electric soldering gun or a heat gun on shrink tubing.

Larry

Yep, that's why I included the warning and mentioned using it "in the open". But...I have a couple of 25 W pencil type soldering irons and a 100 W soldering gun and none of them can come close to soldering two pieces of 10 gauge wire or even a disconnect end to a 10 gauge wire. So...it's what I can afford and what I use, although only in certain circumstances and very, very carefully!

Andy

Unless you are outside in the wind you should not need a Soldering Gun just make sure you have the proper tip, use flux and tin your wires, you will need to watch for wicking also.

This is what they use here in our lab.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/cf_files/model_detail.cfm?upc=037103191328

Now if you really want to do it right

http://www.americanbeautytools.com/site/models/rs/104

Edited by etcswjoe