IGNORED

Spring break Florida

CaptainJoe

Thinking last week of March, to accommodate people from northern states. Also checked Key West calender, we won't run into any major events.

Arriving 3/26

Departing 3/29 Thursday (3 nights) or 3/30 Friday (4 nights)

Bed and breakfast is good, a little on the expensive side.

Blue Lagoon $100 a night (very Basic).

Truman Annex $56 (retired military rate).

Most other motels between $120-200 per night.

Campgrounds?

Any other suggestions are welcome... We can add to the list of accommodations...

:Venture: I'm ready to Roll!:cool10:

Edited by CaptainJoe

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats a trailer??

We would trailer over to the Key Largo area and spend the night, then take off the next morning on the bike for the remainder of the trip if the timing was correct for the group. Two hours on alligator Alley is not our kind of fun. Yes you can call me a sissy, I'm a big boy. Most hotels will allow you to leave your tow vehicle and trailer there since you will be staying with them a night or two. We have done this on four different occasions from two to four days and have stayed in one place from Islamorada to Big Pine Key and then riding daily from there.

jrsain "Two hours on alligator Alley is not our kind of fun."

What does a gator call a couple of motorcylists broke down on alligator alley?

---SNACKS!---

Traveled that road... no berm to pull off on, a lot of alligators. Kept getting the feeling the gators were licking their lips...LOL

Now that you mention it, staying in Key Largo if I bring the trailer would be perfect! would cut Pennys ride to less than 2 hours?

Kregerdoodle "Just saw the date, no can do, I have the SE Texas Maint. Day that weekend....maybe catch up with ya`ll down the road.. "

Sorry to hear that, I checked the calender before I posted the date to avoid stepping on other events and nothings on it for the entire month of March?

What will happen is, of the people that are definately going, we will adjust the dates and places to suit ourselves... although I don't want to stay in Key West on a weekend...It's a lot more expensive that way.

So basically it's March 12-15,19-22 or 26-29th on the chain of islands.

So check back the dates may move...

Would like to also get some feed back from people that have worked "their way to Key West" staying in various towns along that chain of islands... that way we could possibly explore a broader area.

Key Largo looked like an excellent place to stay a day or so. Do Any others come to mind? Islamorada and Big Pine Key look good also as previously mentioned?

Edited by CaptainJoe

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=19732+Southwest+29th+Lane,+Miramar,+Florida+33029&daddr=alabama+jacks,+key+largo+to:81620+Overseas+Highway,+Islamorada,+FL+33036-3700+(Bob's+Bunz)+to:No+Name+Pub,+Watson+Boulevard,+Big+Pine+Key,+FL+to:Papa's+Hideaway,+Louisa+Street,+Key+West,+FL&hl=en&geocode=FVt6jAEdD3s1-ymdb6Fc7KPZiDF-bnbSydF9NA%3BFZ7qgQEd3IM1-yGL0d3AYlQbKw%3BFTcyfAEdW48x-yFCkNw3db3-LCnruFkKXjfXiDFPiahdW0E0XA%3BFRrdeAEdsa0m-yGJHX1bZqCXdg%3BFZeSdgEdddgf-yG4NTGsvjf8WCmfwggN3bbRiDFzBgJdKh8kEw&aq=0&sll=24.548846,-81.797397&sspn=0.004143,0.006968&vpsrc=6&dirflg=ht&mra=ls&ie=UTF8&ll=24.752443,-80.933533&spn=0.264701,0.445976&t=h&z=12

no problem, thats a long ways from Texas, I normally don`t start posting about the MX Day untill the end of Dec. so it wouldn`t be on the calander yet, maybe I should post earlier so that folks can plan. I will keep checking your dates, but just found out today that the kids my be coming here, so if thats the case, we wouldn`t be going that way any how..but ya never know..

Kregerdoodle "Just saw the date, no can do, I have the SE Texas Maint. Day that weekend....maybe catch up with ya`ll down the road.. "

Sorry to hear that, I checked the calender before I posted the date to avoid stepping on other events and nothings on it for the entire month of March?

What will happen is, of the people that are definately going, we will adjust the dates and places to suit ourselves... although I don't want to stay in Key West on a weekend...It's a lot more expensive that way.

So check back the dates may move...

Would like to also get some feed back from people that have worked "their way to Key West" staying in various towns along that chain of islands... that way we could possibly explore a broader area.

Key Largo looked like an excellent place to stay a day or so. Do Any others come to mind? Islamorada and Big Pine Key look good also as previously mentioned?

They are talking about a" Springtime" ride..............you know, like March, April, May..............Now what do your cards say.........:stickpoke::stickpoke:

Well I surely would like to attend, but I don't see it in my cards..

Traveling on business until Nov 4th. Come back and work Nov 7,8,& 9th, then leaving for Alabama..daughter is getting married (again), coming back and working again till Thanksgiving..Then all the way through December..

For us the dates 12th-15th and 19th-22nd are the ones that work for us. My wife (Nancy) is a school principal and they have Stanford Testing the following week and needs to be at school during that time. The 12th-15th is the best due to it being her schools spring break. All this being said you need to adjust the dates to fit the group since we live so close and may well have just been there in late Feburary 2012. The attaached photo is sunset shot from Mallory Square, Key West.

• 1 month later...

Bump.... :missingtooth:

I know the time is fast approaching so some decisions will have to be made:

1. best time for all in March

2. Would like to get some feed back from people that have worked "their way to Key West" staying in various towns along that chain of islands... that way we could possibly explore a broader area. its about a 100 miles from the mainland to key west...

Key Largo looked like an excellent place to stay a day or so. :confused24:

Hey, well maybe I'm just huge Beach boys fan (by the way I've heard they are having a 50th year reunion?) how could that be?

Do Any others areas come to mind? Islamorada and Big Pine Key look good also as previously mentioned?

I found this and I copied the most important pieces (or so I think) from a travel article, there is so much to do, so do your homework.

Traveling to the Keys, you’ll leave Homestead and Florida City down an 18-mile stretch of US 1 through the Everglades, in most places it’s simply a two-lane highway, be patient, as there are passing zones that widen to four lanes every couple of miles. The ride is quiet and serene, which puts you in the vacation state of mind.

The first Key you’ll get to is Key Largo. Some of the best diving in the Keys is found at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, the beginning of the only living coral reef in the US. Diving, snorkeling and glass-bottom boats give spectacular views of undersea life.

The next Key is Islamorada. Islamorada is known as the Sport Fishing Capital of the World. If you’re not a fisherman, see a show or swim with dolphins, stingrays and sea lions at Theater of the Sea.

Marathon, known as the Heart of the Keys, is a small town in the middle of otherwise tourist-y islands. The seven-mile bridge, which has been the site of several movies including True Lies, is a gorgeous ride over the water. On one side is the Atlantic Ocean; on the other, the Bay. When the sky is clear and blue, it’s an unbeatable landscape of colors.

After Marathon comes a chain of small islands known collectively as the Lower Keys. They include, among others, the unparalleled diving at Looe Key reef and the pet-friendly beaches of Little Duck Key. Homey restaurants make the Lower Keys a perfect place to stop for dinner.

Key West, the southernmost Key, is unlike the rest of the Keys. The marker at the southernmost point in the US is 90 miles from Cuba, and on a clear day you can make out the shape of Cuba on the horizon. Hemmingway found Key West an inspirational place to work, and it has continued to draw artists and authors from around the world. The nightlife can be a bit wild, but it’s all part of the charm. Don’t miss the sunset at Mallory Square; the nightly Sunset Celebration is inspiring.

I have found Key West the place to stay for a couple of days. But remember if you hit a spring break week it will be packed and hard to find places to stay. I love the ride through the keys and have done it twice. Remember when in the keys there is no free parking on the streets. Even if there are no meters you must walk to the corner and put your money in the box get your card and place on the bike. Even if 2 bikes are in one spot both still need the card. I learned the hard way. $75 parking ticket. I might also ride down and join everyone.

Been doin a little research... mainly on the impact of college kids on this trip...

http://www.tripsmarter.com/travelinfo/panama-city-beach/spring-break-college-university-dates-0

Am actually leaning towards last week of March

Or

the first week of April.

need to look into rate changes for different dates... and weather...

Keep the input comming

Thanks Joe

Retired and really interested in this trip. Live in NJ, and my wife is resisting traveling that far. Will most likely have to travel alone. The last week of March or first week of April are best for us folks up north. Would also prefer to avoid spring breaks, if possible. Anxiously awaiting further updates.

Retired and really interested in this trip. Live in NJ, and my wife is resisting traveling that far. Will most likely have to travel alone. The last week of March or first week of April are best for us folks up north. Would also prefer to avoid spring breaks, if possible. Anxiously awaiting further updates.

You cannot avoid spring breaks, between different area public schools and colleges, virtually there is someone on spring break from the 2nd week of March through the third week of April.

you could always fly here down, and I'll pick her up at the airport ( Ft. Lauderdale)

you could always fly here down, and I'll pick her up at the airport ( Ft. Lauderdale)

Interesting idea... My wife has some concerns because she has never met you. :confused24: It definitely would lessen her ride. Air fares are not too bad right now. Wife also has concerns about me traveling alone. It would be nice if I can hook up with someone heading south as a companion. Let's get the dates and then see what can be worked out. Thanks!

Would like to get a ride together to Key West FL.

I'll be riding from Sandyville,WV this Spring?

Not one for a bunch of bikers getting together, but,

know first hand it will "CHANGE YOUR LIFE"...

Well... I may be streeeeeeeeeching it a little...

Captainjoe, It would be nice if I could hook up with another bike or bikes to travel some part of I95 to Florida. If you or anyone else would like to join up, please let me know.

Thanks!