IGNORED

Appears we might have another shock alternative

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_id=42&Category_ID=14&manufacturer_ID=557&product_ID=29500&sblid_name=Ohlins_Rear_Shocks__S__DR_LS____Royal_Star_____and_current__for_Yamaha_1300_Royal_Star_Venture_

Hi Guys, was looking at the Cruiser Customizing site today, and if it's accurate, it appears we have another alternative from Ohlin, including one with a remote preload adjuster. Their products are generally found on high end bikes with a real reputation for quality, so if it's true, this is great news.:fingers-crossed-emo Ron

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_id=42&Category_ID=14&manufacturer_ID=557&product_ID=29500&sblid_name=Ohlins_Rear_Shocks__S__DR_LS____Royal_Star_____and_current__for_Yamaha_1300_Royal_Star_Venture_

Hi Guys, was looking at the Cruiser Customizing site today, and if it's accurate, it appears we have another alternative from Ohlin, including one with a remote preload adjuster. Their products are generally found on high end bikes with a real reputation for quality, so if it's true, this is great news.:fingers-crossed-emo Ron

721.00 with preload, 578.00 without. I'll pay extra for Ohlins. Ron

Thank you for this good news. This may sound kinda silly to you, but what does pre-load mean ? Maybe it means the ability to add air, therefore pre-loading the shock ?

Fuzzy

Thank you for this good news. This may sound kinda silly to you, but what does pre-load mean ? Maybe it means the ability to add air, therefore pre-loading the shock ?

Fuzzy

Preload would mean how much tension you put on the shock spring by turning a large collar to compress the spring more or less to smooth out your ride. if you have a 150 lbs rider, he requires less preload.. if you have a manly rider (cough cough) he requires a lot more preload which is accomplished by turning that collar.. and unfortunately its buried under the bike when the shock is installed, and not the easiest thing to adjust.. so the remote preload adjuster is perfect for the rider who often goes two up riding.. he can easily adjust his preload for solo or two up riding and have a very comfortable ride.

I think Cruiser Customizer might have that one listed wrong, as it might be for the newer VStar 1300.. the 07 and up models is a give away since most parts on 99 to current Ventures are compatible..

Close.. darn close.. Just not enough Ventures on the road to make it their while to mass produce.. le big sigh

I am, by no means an expert on shocks (motorcycle or auto), but it just seems odd to me that there aren't more alternatives for shocks to fit our bikes. I mean really, shouldn't it just be load capacity and distance between mounting points on the bike?? Where is my limited understanding falling off course?

I agree but I feel even orse because there is no option for the 96 and 97 royal star classics. Theshock works in reverse too what a regular shock does.

I cant tell if I definetly have a bad shock but the ride is terrible over poyholes. The whole bike shudders The only time you feel it absord is on long wavy bumps which feel ok on a rigid frame. Only 31 k on mine and there is no leaks and the ahock is a sealed unit and cannot be worked on.

I feel like having a custom bike shop weld braces for regular fender to swing arm struts. But I know I may as well buy another bike at that point.

I dont want to reinvent the wheel

I agree but I feel even orse because there is no option for the 96 and 97 royal star classics. Theshock works in reverse too what a regular shock does.

I cant tell if I definetly have a bad shock but the ride is terrible over poyholes. The whole bike shudders The only time you feel it absord is on long wavy bumps which feel ok on a rigid frame. Only 31 k on mine and there is no leaks and the ahock is a sealed unit and cannot be worked on.

I feel like having a custom bike shop weld braces for regular fender to swing arm struts. But I know I may as well buy another bike at that point.

I dont want to reinvent the wheel

I would get a new shock. I replaced the shock on my 97 Royal Star when it had around 40k on it, and it really improved the ride quality, I mean A LOT.

From the way you dscribe the ride, it may be that there is something else wrong with your suspension, besides the worn shock. It wouldn't hurt to disassemble the dogbone apparatus, make sure all the bearings are moving free, nothing bent, and make sure your swingarm is moving freely with no side-to-side play.

Patrick

Preload would mean how much tension you put on the shock spring by turning a large collar to compress the spring more or less to smooth out your ride. if you have a 150 lbs rider, he requires less preload.. if you have a manly rider (cough cough) he requires a lot more preload which is accomplished by turning that collar.. and unfortunately its buried under the bike when the shock is installed, and not the easiest thing to adjust.. so the remote preload adjuster is perfect for the rider who often goes two up riding.. he can easily adjust his preload for solo or two up riding and have a very comfortable ride.

I think Cruiser Customizer might have that one listed wrong, as it might be for the newer VStar 1300.. the 07 and up models is a give away since most parts on 99 to current Ventures are compatible..

Close.. darn close.. Just not enough Ventures on the road to make it their while to mass produce.. le big sigh

Thanks Seaking. I have used these type shocks before and now understand what I was doing. I wish these bikes had a better rear shock than what I have read about. Thanks again,

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

I emailed the Canadian Distributor asking about the Ohlin shocks and if they have one for the 2nd Gen....

Their response :

"I can't say for sure whether one of the shocks will work on your bike, they have tested fitments for the Wild Star, Midnight Star, Drag Star and the Road Warrior but not the Royal"