Can anyone explain HOW a speedbleeder is used for the clutch bleeding?

The way the speedbleeders work is by building up pressure from behind to dislodge the spring loaded check valve to get the fluid flowing past it without it allowing any bleed back (air) into the system.. But if you've bled the clutch before, this isn't the case, you can't build up the pressure, as the fluid squirts out the top via the vent hole.. so how is a speedbleeder supposed to work in the clutch system?

Just curious..

Can anyone explain HOW a speedbleeder is used for the clutch bleeding?

The way the speedbleeders work is by building up pressure from behind to dislodge the spring loaded check valve to get the fluid flowing past it without it allowing any bleed back (air) into the system.. But if you've bled the clutch before, this isn't the case, you can't build up the pressure, as the fluid squirts out the top via the vent hole.. so how is a speedbleeder supposed to work in the clutch system?

Just curious..

You don't have to build up pressure in the calipers any longer... or the clutch. Just crack them open and pump fluid through the system. Just make sure the reserve doesn't run dry.... :)

You don't have to build up pressure in the calipers any longer... or the clutch. Just crack them open and pump fluid through the system. Just make sure the reserve doesn't run dry.... :)

Its the 'pumping' of the fluid that builds the pressure to allow the check valve in the speedbleeders to operate and not allow air back up into the system. This is why they are great for the one man job of bleeding the brakes. When you pump the brake lever, with the reservoir open so you can monitor the fluid levels and keep topping it up, you're forcing the new fluid down through the system, building up pressure, pushing any residual air bubbles and old fluid out through the speedbleeder as the check valve is pushed aside to allow the fluid out, and prevent air from coming back up into the bleeder..

I could be wrong but that's how I interpret the instructions and how I've been shown to use the speedbleeders, and that works. Its not that I'm getting into semantics over terminology, but querying how speedbleeders in the clutch system is supposed to work when you can't build up pressure to displace the check valve.. just opening the speedbleeder enough to let the fluid flow is the same as having the OEM bleeder in place..

Cheers

Its the 'pumping' of the fluid that builds the pressure to allow the check valve in the speedbleeders to operate and not allow air back up into the system. This is why they are great for the one man job of bleeding the brakes. When you pump the brake lever, with the reservoir open so you can monitor the fluid levels and keep topping it up, you're forcing the new fluid down through the system, building up pressure, pushing any residual air bubbles and old fluid out through the speedbleeder as the check valve is pushed aside to allow the fluid out, and prevent air from coming back up into the bleeder..

I could be wrong but that's how I interpret the instructions and how I've been shown to use the speedbleeders, and that works. Its not that I'm getting into semantics over terminology, but querying how speedbleeders in the clutch system is supposed to work when you can't build up pressure to displace the check valve.. just opening the speedbleeder enough to let the fluid flow is the same as having the OEM bleeder in place..

Cheers

You're pretty much spot on, and I guess you could say that pressure is built, but it's so small that it probably couldn't be measured. The Speed just lets fluid be moved through the system very quickly and easily. One note of warning. When squeezing the lever on the clutch, with the reserve lid off, be very carefull and cover all the plastic. In the initial 1/4" of lever travel fluid will squirt out of the expansion hole at the base of the reserve, and get all over the place. Not as bad when full. Don't ask me how I know this.... :) :)

You're pretty much spot on, and I guess you could say that pressure is built, but it's so small that it probably couldn't be measured. The Speed just lets fluid be moved through the system very quickly and easily. One note of warning. When squeezing the lever on the clutch, with the reserve lid off, be very carefull and cover all the plastic. In the initial 1/4" of lever travel fluid will squirt out of the expansion hole at the base of the reserve, and get all over the place. Not as bad when full. Don't ask me how I know this.... :) :)

Great paint remover ain't it??:whistling::whistling: Of course I wouldn't do anything like that.

Great paint remover ain't it??:whistling::whistling: Of course I wouldn't do anything like that.

It's amazing how much paint damage one tiny little speck of missed DOT 3 will do to the paint if it's left sitting for a couple of days.... Don't ask me how I know that either.... :whistling:

Hmmmm, got some old DOT 3 and 4 laying around. Wonder just how good it would be to get the paint/powdercoat off of the rims.......

Probably won't touch the powder coat, but if the paint's the same as on the ABS plastic parts it should lift the paint right off. You might want to keep an eye on it...not sure what the effect of long term exposure will do to the plastic surface, but for the small speck I missed it was on a couple of weeks before I noticed it and the subsurface was clean as a whistle...:whistling: