I just upgraded from a 2005 V Star 650 Classic to a 1999 Royal Star Venture 1300.

I'm a little dismayed though, it had major electrical issues hidden under the seat and now I am in the process of replacing the wiring harness. I'll probably be posting lots of questions around this as I go forward.

One newbie question. What's the difference between 1st Generation and 2nd Generation Ventures?

Don't worry none,,, you'll be helped through all you need.

You have a second gen! A first gen came long before,, first made in 83 until 91,, too bad,,, then in 99 the second gen was born,, not the same as the first gen, not as fast even though they did come out with blue ones, and brown is faster.

Then there is the MRKI as opposed to the MRKII. MRKI's were made in 83 and 84, the MRKII's came around in 86,,,, that leaves the 85 all by itself and it's the best with the 1200 power plant and the large trunk and they are brown, so naturally the fastest.

Now some of this is BS and some is real truth,,, you get to figure it out.

Here is a more readable wiring diagram than the Service manual version.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42357

Two major differences between a 1st gen & 2nd gen are the 2nd Gen (RSV) has forward foot controls, the 1st has a more conventional pegs under rider.

2nd is the 1st gen has a frame mounted fairing, the 2nd gen went to a fork mounted fairing.

They are very similar in general engine, drive train design.

Gary

Great, thanks for the info and the generation(s) and the wiring diagram link.

You've probably been around the forum long enough to recommend which area I should post electrical wiring issues? GPS, Audio, and Electronics or Tech Talk 2nd Gen? Or other?

Thanks!

if you have a major mess with your wiring harness you may want to checkout this e-bay store and see if they have a wiring harness. if you don't see one listed, just send them an e=mail ask if they have one as they have torn down a bunch of bikes. good luck on your repair, don.

http://myworld.ebay.com/pinwall_cycle_parts&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533

Pinwall is notorious for not replying to emails, If you call them, they will help you though.

Text below is from their website.

Gary

Please, call us at 330-879-9910 with any questions or concerns about your part. Due to the volume of emails that we receive, emails CANNOT be answered.