IGNORED

Common causes for gen1 VR rear shock to lose air?

rstacy

I'm looking to tap in to your experience so that I get started in the right direction.

My 86 VR rear shock stopped holding pressure this past weekend. It will pump up to whatever I select but if I immediately go back and check the pressure, the LCD says 0 pounds at which point it will pump up again. The only air I hear leaking when I do this is the bleed off valve at the end of the compressor cycle.

I did some research here and it looks like the rear shock is the place to start or are there other common failures that should be checked first.

Is there a trick to getting to the components on the rear shock or am I in for some serious disassembly?

Thank you for the help,

Ray

Yours is the first 1st Gen I have seen since I joined this forum that has had a rear shock go bad.

It seems to be common on 2nd Gen bikes but rare on first gens.

I would bet the problem is elsewhere....perhaps the compressor?

Never having seen the problem I can't help with the "how to" but I know others will jump in!

Edited by Trader

I would check for tightness off air connection hose at shock itself. Shock fitting will be hardest on to get at due to its location on top of shock assy. Check other 2 first.

There is a 'union' connection I think, between the shock & the compressor on the right side top area under seat. Also check the three fittings on the air compressor itself.

Soapy water works fairly well to check these.

It could also be the valve in compressor has dirt in it, allowing air to flow through when it should be closed.

Gary