Has anybody out there ever needed to paint match there first gen? Do to my stupidity I will need to repaint my saddle bag(s) and I would like it to match the original sparkle crimson black on my 83. Any thoughts?

I suggest taking another part off the bike down and get it color matched to keep the painted part looking like the rest. Over time paint will have color shift and not be exactely like a new blend. Here's a link to a site that deals with touch up paints. http://www.drcolorchip.com/

I thought the above link, I put in my post, was for the site that actually sold mixed paints in various sizes. Pint, Qt, gal, etc. I searched and couldn't find the other link in my favorites. Colorchip is more of a chip fixing system. Sorry.... That's what i get for not paying attention....

As a former paint & body shop owner, I would suggest you go with Condor's recommendation. A paint code mix will give you what the paint looked like over 20 years ago. Not what it looks like now. All automotive paint will change a little (or a lot, sometimes) and it won't be noticeable until you try to "panel paint" something and then the difference will be very apparent. It will look like you got the wrong color. Or a bad mix. A good paint mixer or a competent auto painter should fix you up if you do like Condor said and take a piece down and let them experiment until they get a perfect match. I've done many, many times and if it is done right it will match the rest of the bike perfectly, despite the aging.

"Thanks Wizard. So the painter can use these codes to reproduce that color? :think:"

Not very likley. It would only give the paint mixer a formula for that color if one exists. Very few formulas for metric bike codes are available.

Go to a local Body Shop Supply that carries Sherwin Williams, PPG Dupont or BASF inventory. They will likley have a computerized color eye that will provide the closest possible matching formula. Take A piece of the body with the best color on the bike and they can shoot if for a formula. If they get what is called a blendable match (1.0-2.5) make sure and get a copy of the formula or at least a code for future reference.

DJ

Thanks for the valued input guys! I needed a new left side case (lost it, dont ask) so I purchased a set of blue ones. I figure I can use the remaining case to hone in on the color and then have both cases shot in the sparkle crimson black so at least as they age they will match each other in not the bike exactly.

Next big question who has a recomendation on who can paint these babys. It wouldnt be to difficult to send all three pieces off to be painted almost anywhere.

Ohhh! one more question (as if) if I can purchase the C stripe decals should those be sent along to the painter so they can be clear coated in? Or is that something I can do after the paint is applied? :think:

My cousin paints cars... he ALWAYS says... "If it's new, bring me the paint code. Otherwise, leave me alone with the car for a minute and I'll match it fine. After 10 years or so of sun and washes takes a toll even on a garaged car. That paint code is only good if I'm shooting the entire car to original color. I'm a pro, let me do my job."