IGNORED

Another tire thread

playboy

Getting ready for our first long distance trip to Tenn. in 3 weeks have read a lot of threads on tires an choices. V7 Goose has a bunch But anyway checked my tires on my new to me RSV still have good tread but front is Dunlop 404 an rear a Bridgestone something both have a date code of 09. The more i read the less uncomfortable I am with this set up been running zero air 2up since i have had. Thanks to info here I kinda know where to start on the air issue. One problem I thought was all me was a lil wallowing in the turns especially long sweepers cant seem to hold a continues line all the way through will out constant correction If i understand what I've read the air suspension an tires are the culprit an yes i check tire pressure an set according to owners Manuel. So now to my Question is combo. safe an will a new set of tires make me a better rider. I know a better gun won't make someone a better shot but can let them shoot up to there ability.

Confidence in your bikes ability to do what you ask it to do will make you a better rider. As many have mentioned Bridgestones are junk, and the 404 Dunlop doesn't have a much more favorable rating with me. The right shock pressure is crucial too , but it's all in how you ride and like the suspension to feel and fit you, so thats subjective. 200 to 220 lbs, I would probably try 30ish in the rear shock and 3 lbs in the front. You dont want the front end to feel washy in a curve and thats why I mention a bit of air in the front forks. Some folks run zero, but thats what they are comfortable with. A good set of tires and the right air pressures WILL make your bike handle LOTS better.

PS also remember too that you need to keep the rear tire max inflated if your going 2 up. I always keep the rears at max and the front 2 or 3 lbs under max

Confidence in your bikes ability to do what you ask it to do will make you a better rider. As many have mentioned Bridgestones are junk, and the 404 Dunlop doesn't have a much more favorable rating with me. The right shock pressure is crucial too , but it's all in how you ride and like the suspension to feel and fit you, so thats subjective. 200 to 220 lbs, I would probably try 30ish in the rear shock and 3 lbs in the front. You dont want the front end to feel washy in a curve and thats why I mention a bit of air in the front forks. Some folks run zero, but thats what they are comfortable with. A good set of tires and the right air pressures WILL make your bike handle LOTS better.

PS also remember too that you need to keep the rear tire max inflated if your going 2 up. I always keep the rears at max and the front 2 or 3 lbs under max

I have Progressives in the front of my 1st Gen but still like the idea of 3 or 4 lbs air in there. I think Skid rode it with no air in the front. It is what you feel good with. I also had a set of Bridgestones on "Ugly" that I can't complain a lot about(they don't like hard twisties) but the 404's are junk. Again how YOU feel with it means a lot but I still listen to the Old Farts on here to make mine as safe as I can. :whistling:

V7 Goose mentioned that with the right set up it would be like it was on rails in long curves I know everyone has different preferences. I just know mine doesn't feel that way and have been thinking it was me not holding it right or pushing the bars to much.

Playboy, long story short.....Avon Venoms front and rear, 42-44 lbs up front, 46-48 lbs rear, 3-4 lbs in the front forks, 40 lbs in the rear shock. Check your steering neck for sloppiness and you should be good to go.

And dont even consider the Metzler 880 for this bike.....

Bought my 06 used and the first thing I did was put Avons on with the 130 front tire. Most folks said it would make the bike handle great at slow speeds, and it did. I never really liked the way it handled at highway speeds, I thought it was the neck bearings so I tightened them, played around with the air etc. the bike never tracked and would wander all over the place, I would never take my hands off the bars, thats for sure. Last week I put new Avons on and put the 150 front on, its a brand new bike, it handles completely different at speed, rock solid and holds a perfect line, the difference is nite and day. The trucks would blow me all over the road, not any more and it seems the faster I went the more solid it was, only way I can explain it is it felt like a gyroscope effect. I really think I could have set the cruise at 80 and folded both arms across my chest and just leaned back on the backrest. Wife wouldnt let me try it tho. Just my 2 cents, but the stock size Avons are the way to fly:080402gudl_prv:

Craig

Bought my 06 used and the first thing I did was put Avons on with the 130 front tire. Most folks said it would make the bike handle great at slow speeds, and it did. I never really liked the way it handled at highway speeds, I thought it was the neck bearings so I tightened them, played around with the air etc. the bike never tracked and would wander all over the place, I would never take my hands off the bars, thats for sure. Last week I put new Avons on and put the 150 front on, its a brand new bike, it handles completely different at speed, rock solid and holds a perfect line, the difference is nite and day. The trucks would blow me all over the road, not any more and it seems the faster I went the more solid it was, only way I can explain it is it felt like a gyroscope effect. I really think I could have set the cruise at 80 and folded both arms across my chest and just leaned back on the backrest. Wife wouldnt let me try it tho. Just my 2 cents, but the stock size Avons are the way to fly:080402gudl_prv:

Craig

Pics without hands on bars can get you in trouble Craig.:whistling::whistling: