IGNORED

wholelottashakingoinon(texas earthquakes)

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

I felt my first earthquake early Sunday morning. September 11th.

I was not far from San Angelo, and felt the truck move, it actually shook, for about 2 seconds....I had been up for about 30 minutes but was still relaxing in the sleeper, checking email, news about the anniversary of September 11, and recent tweets on my iPad.

Normally when you feel that in a stationary truck cab, its either a gust of wind, or maybe a heavily loaded truck that rolls by on the highway. I heard an hour later it was an earthquake in Snyder. Magnitude 4.4 on the scale. It's a sparsely populated area, and the suspicion is that the oil and gas operations in the area are causing it. Where have we heard THAT before?

There have been several aftershocks, and in fact, in the last few years, they have had a number of minor tremblors in the area.

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/news/local/story/Snyder-earthquake-Scurry-County/DnOHZWUCvUSgbivOt5IWsg.cspx?rss=2345

http://earthquake-report.com/2011/09/11/shallow-magnitude-4-4-earthquake-close-to-snyder-texas/

This was centered in a county named appropriately, Scurry County. :doh:

Edited by tx2sturgis

I lived in Anchorage Alaska during the 1964 quake. It was a 9.2 that lasted 4 minutes.

You would get knocked down and then when you stood up get knocked right back down.

My brother and I were kids so at first we thought it was funny but believe me we did not

think that for very long. We had VERY strong aftershocks for a LONG time after that.

After that I became a "bit sensitive" to earthquakes. Now even the the smallest one gets my full attention.

Regardless of the size, if I feel it I am headed out of what ever building I am in NOW and firmly instructing

everyone else to do the same. (okay I am actually yelling for everyone to get outside). If I am sleeping and

it wakes me up I literally fly out of the bed and head outside. My wife thinks it is funny that the amount of

time it takes me to get out of bed and be standing outside is measured in nanoseconds but I am not taking any

chances of having a building coming down on me if I can get the hell out of it.

Regardless of the size, if I feel it I am headed out of what ever building I am in NOW and firmly instructing

everyone else to do the same. (okay I am actually yelling for everyone to get outside). If I am sleeping and

it wakes me up I literally fly out of the bed and head outside. My wife thinks it is funny that the amount of

time it takes me to get out of bed and be standing outside is measured in nanoseconds but I am not taking any

chances of having a building coming down on me if I can get the hell out of it.

The odds are better that you will get killed riding your bike, than getting munched by an earthquake.

I lived in Anchorage Alaska during the 1964 quake. It was a 9.2 that lasted 4 minutes.

You would get knocked down and then when you stood up get knocked right back down.

My brother and I were kids so at first we thought it was funny but believe me we did not

think that for very long. We had VERY strong aftershocks for a LONG time after that.

I was there for that one. Our family was sitting down to eat and the table was shaking. My dad told us kids to stop kicking the table. The table kept shaking so he got up to pop our buts and he noticed the chandelier swinging back and forth. I don't remember a lot of it I was only 2.

I grew up just south of Snyder. Left there in 1972 for Uncle Sam's traveling circus. While I lived there we never had an earthquake and that was when the oil fields here were booming. Now the big thing here is wind farms, although the oil patch is still operating, just not at the same intensity as it used to.

So, and this is just my uneducated opinion, the earthquakes are not caused by oil and gas drilling, but by the torque forces from the wind pulling on the giant windmill towers. You can assist in alleviating this condition by buying windfarm credits from me. With the money you send I will buy lead weights that we will strategically place so as to counteract the pulling effect from the windmills.

The odds are better that you will get killed riding your bike, than getting munched by an earthquake.

I don't see a citation here :think::stickpoke:

One might suggest that one is much more likely to be safe from being trapped inside a building during an earth quake if they are not inside a building.

I don't see a citation here :think::stickpoke:

One might suggest that one is much more likely to be safe from being trapped inside a building during an earth quake if they are not inside a building.

If we had ham, we could have ham and eggs, if we had eggs...