IGNORED

Fuel pump question

I’m still trying to get my ’83 VR running. I feel like I’m making some progress but I’m still far from having it going. It seems like it is starving for gas. I have cleaned the carbs as well as I can. It will start and run for a few seconds and then dies. It will start again and die again. It sounds just like it is running out of gas. I have new gas lines and new filter going to the inlet side of the fuel pump. I still have the original line going from the outlet side to the carbs. I suspected that I may have an obstruction in the line so I removed it and blew air through it. It seemed to be clear. I put it back on the fuel pump and turned the key on to see how much fuel was being pumped. Since there was no pressure on the line I expected the pump to run continuously but it only pumped for a second and cut off. Each time I would turn the key on, it would just pump for about a second. Is this normal? :confused07:

As far as I know the only reason it should shut off is if the pressure is reach (and key off of course). I have used the pump to empty out the fuel in the tank. It ran for 3 to 4 min with no problem.

My 83 the fuel pump would run for about 5 to 10 sec before shutting off. My TCI was going bad so sometimes the pump would not run. I ended up running a wire from aux to the pump through a toggle switch. I will put it back to the way it was when I get the new TCI.

When pressure is low the pump diaphram closes the "ON contacts of the pump solenoid, the solenoid pulls the diaphram, sucking in gas, whick opens the contacts and the diaphragm relaxes, pushing the gas up to the carb and this closes the contacts so it can pull again.

When pressure is built up, the pressure keeps the diaphragm from closing the "ON" contacts.

As far as I know the only reason it should shut off is if the pressure is reach (and key off of course). I have used the pump to empty out the fuel in the tank. It ran for 3 to 4 min with no problem.

My 83 the fuel pump would run for about 5 to 10 sec before shutting off. My TCI was going bad so sometimes the pump would not run. I ended up running a wire from aux to the pump through a toggle switch. I will put it back to the way it was when I get the new TCI.

By running the wire directly to the pump, a safety circuit was bypassed. The fuel pump relay has circuitry in it that detects if there is no ignition signal to the #2 coil. If system is powered up, and no signal for about 4 seconds, the pump power is cut off.

Reason for this is in case of an accident and a fuel line rupture, the pump does not keep pushing fuel out that could ignite.

Fuel pump relay has the same base connection as a normal relay, but they should not be interchanged. Fuel pump relay as all black plastic on outside and about a half inch longer than the standard Omron (mfg) metal relays.

Couple of internal pictures attached, all the circuitry seen is for this safety cutout. About 5 resistors, 2 transistors 2 capacitors and a diode.

Picture is from a 1st gen relay.

There is one other 'Special' relay in bike & that is the side stand relay, it has a blue base & can not be interchanged with other relays. It has Normally Closed contacts, where all the others are Normally Open contacts.

Gary

I want to thank everyone for the information. I now have a better understanding of how the pump works. But now I have another problem. I guess I did something stupid.:no-no-no: I unplugged the fuel pump and made some leads so I could just hook the pump to my battery charger. I wanted to make sure the pump would run continuosly. Well it did. I did this without the fuel lines connected. So then I put the fuel lines back on and turned the pump on and allowed it to run till it kicked of. (about 5 seconds) I disconnected the charger from the pump and put it on battery because my battery is old and doesn't hold a charge. I started the bike and it starte much more quickly than normal, I guess because the bowls were filled better than they had been. But of coarse it died after just a few seconds because the pump wasn't hooked up. So I hooked the pump up again but it wouldn't run.:( I pulled the pump off and took the end cap off of the motor side of the pump. Well, I saw that the wire going down into the armature was burnt. So I guess I burnt the pump motor up. Now I guess I'm in the market for a new pump. I guess I shouldn't have hooked it to the charger.