IGNORED

Anyone know of this ????

I saw this on the web and was wondering if any of you all have tried this ? Would this be of real use on these engines, or a no/no ? Claims to give better fuel mileage and looks good/good reviews and so on. But I know nothing of a crank case filter on these engines. So any and all information appreciated here. I would like to know more about a crankcase filter ? Thanks,

https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/crankcase-breather-filter-kit.p301754.prd/301754.sku#tabs

Fuzzy

Guest tx2sturgis

The main technical reason for a breather on a motorcycle is to equalize pressures inside and outside the crankcase, of course, but the main applications are for V-twin bikes where there is a huge variation in the crankcase pressures due to those 2 big pistons, rising and falling almost at the same time.

Most of the V-twin engines are engineered with some kind of breather system, but changing things like aircleaners and carburetors and other bits on the motor can render the EPA compliant breather system ineffective.

So the aftermarket has the solution in this crankcase breather, which will help equalize the pressures and in doing so, can help with wet-sumping, oil blowby, and mild piston slapping, as well as possibly increase the horsepower since the back pressure on the bottom of the piston is lessened.

In a V-four engine, none of this applies, since the crankcase pressure should be more or less evened out due to 4 pistons that are NOT all rising and falling in near unison. And while I'm certainly willing to listen to anyone who says otherwise, I believe an aftermarket breather on the newer V-4 that most of us ride is a waste of money, unless you just want something hanging off the motor that looks 'cool'...

In that case, go for it. But dont expect anything magic to happen.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Crankcase vents are very important on ALL engines, no matter if it is a big single or small V12 (the term "small" would be relative for any V12, of course!). In general, all of the modern factory engine vents are designed just fine and doing anything different is a total waste of money. AFAIK, all engine vents are routed to the air intake, primarily because it is just stupid to unnecessarily blow the pollutants directly to the atmosphere when you gain virtually nothing by doing it.

If you have a bike from the early 70s or older, there may be a valid case for such an external vent filter, but not for modern machines.

Goose

Crankcase vents are very important on ALL engines, no matter if it is a big single or small V12 (the term "small" would be relative for any V12, of course!). In general, all of the modern factory engine vents are designed just fine and doing anything different is a total waste of money. AFAIK, all engine vents are routed to the air intake, primarily because it is just stupid to unnecessarily blow the pollutants directly to the atmosphere when you gain virtually nothing by doing it.

If you have a bike from the early 70s or older, there may be a valid case for such an external vent filter, but not for modern machines.

Goose

Thanks Goose ......