IGNORED

West Virginia Suggestions

Rick Haywood

OK, here is my question. We (3 couples) are headed to Canaan Valley, WV on Saturday September 3rd. We hav e rented a home for a week and are just going to be riding around looking at the sights. Canaan Valley is in the corner where PA, WV, And MD sort of come together. We are looking for siggestions on roads we should ride, towns to visit, sights to see and the such. I have looked at all the travel things on the web, the Motorcyel roads and things like that. We are looking for the raods only people who have ridden them know about. We are looking for the sights and places to go that you stumble on when riding. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You all in advance

Rick, Shirley, Bryan, Lisa, Bob and Patty

Blackwater Brewing Company

Thomas & Williams Ave

Davis, WV 26260

Phone: 304-259-4221

Been a couple years since I have been there, but it was a great place to eat.

Mt. Storm Lake.... beautiful ride in that area, there are a couple of places where you come around the corner, and there is a wind-turbine... the blades almost look like you can touch them from the road. Same for the Fairfax Stone. We also like the ride to Blackwater Falls.

Edited by CalhounWV

If you are travelling the top half of the state Rt 47 is a nice road. Long winding curves and enough foot rest tapping bends to keep it interesting. The road is also in nice shape for most of its length. Rt 16 can be a mindbender. Rt16 is the type of road that keeps your attention. Be alert for some pretty hairy hairpins and blind curves. The worst thing about WV roads are the people that drive in the center of the road. Keep an eye on the bends and respect the speed limts. If it has a 25mph speed limit sign the curve will be severe.

Hey Rick!

:think: Looks like it will be an "exploring" week! :confused24: Wonder if any of their pavments / blacktops end in dirt like Missouri's do? :yikes: We get up in them hills & hollers,,,,,,, well I hope I can out run somebody in the group! :backinmyday: :whistling: :stickpoke: Cause I can't squeeeel! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :sign woo hoo:

IS IT FRIDAY YET!!!!!!!

Bryan

Hey Rick!

:think: Looks like it will be an "exploring" week! :confused24: Wonder if any of their pavments / blacktops end in dirt like Missouri's do? :yikes: We get up in them hills & hollers,,,,,,, well I hope I can out run somebody in the group! :backinmyday: :whistling: :stickpoke: Cause I can't squeeeel! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :sign woo hoo:

IS IT FRIDAY YET!!!!!!!

Bryan[/F:big-grin-emoticon:ONT]

3 more days my friend. I am looking forward to the trip..................remember don't get in my way if we gotta run :big-grin-emoticon:

Rick:

"WELCOME to WV" You picked a great area IMHO. Two state parks in the valley with miles of great rides!

From Canaan Valley north on rt 32 thru Davis to rt 93 (as Calhoun posted) take rt 93 thru Mt Storm to rt 42 @ Scherr rt 42 thru Maysville to Petersburg then rt 220 thru Franklin (good food @ Thompsons) to Monterey VA. Take rt 250 to rt 28 (near Bartow) to Seneca Rocks then rt33 to Harman and rt 32 back to Canaan.

When you are in Monterey VA, if you feel the day has just begun.........continue on rt 220 to rt 39 (Warm Springs VA) take rt 39 thru Marlinton to rt 150 (Scenic Highway & GREAT RIDE) to rt 219 north thru Elkins thru Parsons to Thomas then rt 32 thru Davis to Canaan. The above is some of the best in the area IMHO.

If you need more........ PM or my number is in my profile.

May be in the valley some of the weekend myself ?.....not sure yet.

Jackson Jubilee is in Weston this weekend....on the web....if interested?

Snowshoe is near Marlinton also.

Good food @ Amelia's on Cortland Road in the valley:thumbsup:

Freddie

Bike is packed, ready to roll. One more hour of work, then a shower and we are on the way! :banana: :banana: :banana: Been raining this morning here but looks to hold off now till after we leave the area. :banana: :banana: :banana: See ya soon Rick & Shirley!! :sign woo hoo:

Bryan & Lisa

Ride carefull Brother. No rain here but gonna be 102 degrees today. Was wanting it to be cool tomorrow when we leave but suppose to be 95 degrees. OH well it will make up for it in West Virginia highs all week about 68 degrees. Good for me.:clap2:

OK which one of you changed the weather report? It is not funny now put it back the way it was. For the last week it has showed the weather to be around 68 degrees and sunny EVERYDAY in West Virgnia where we are going next week and now I look and it shows 66 degrees and RAIN every day. Now stop that, it must be a 1st gen rider messing with me.............................................Bubba (Todd) Is that you doing that?:crying:

The wife and I are spending this weekend riding around that general area as well.

I have a few friends that say that Smoke Hole Rd near Petersburg is as fun as the Tail of the Dragon, only better because it isn't nearly as crowed.

We've ridden a lot in this area the past couple of years. As long as the road isn't dirt, you really can't go wrong.

Enjoy and ride safe.