IGNORED

rear calaper lacked up

:fingers-crossed-emoI went on a 200 mile first ride after replacing all the bushings in the swing arm and replacing the rear shock.:cool10: IN my 83 xvz12

all went well.:) I then went out on sat to the local coffee hang out, and the rear calaper hung up.:(

So I went to the local Yamaha dealer and picked up an "O" ring kit, thats all thats in the calaper rebuld kit. after replacing the "O"rings in the calaper, It still locked up after aprx. 10 miles.:confused24:The calaper attaches to an arm, that appers to have the abilaty to floot, The book is not helping me in replacing the axal and spacers,:detective: I think I must have eather put a spacer, or washer in the wrong place, that, or I'm tightining the axal wrong, I need some help,:fingers-crossed-emo

Also, you may be filling it with too much brake fluid, so that once it heats up, the fluid expands and pushes the caliper out. Common thing that people do.

Does it free up when it has cooled down?? If it does You have it overfull. Just take a 8 mm wrench with you and a handfull of paper towels to catch that paint remover and when it starts to lock up bleed it off til free.

All the parts are in the right places.:) THANK YOU SQUIDLY FOR THE PHONE CALL. YOU ARE WAY TO COOL!!!:cool10:

I'll check the fluid leval at lunch, I'm at work 630 to 630. (the powers that be, frown on doing anything to ouy POV's during work hours,:whistling: even changing a flat is verboten:()

I'm hoping that I'll be able to ride home tonight, it's only13 miles.

I'll post results as they get resolved.

Bilko

OK here's the deal. I went thru this with my '83. Start using the rear brake and after a bit the brake locks up tighter than a frogs a$$. What will get you going short term is crack the bleeder valve and let out some fluid. That should get you back to the barn. If they lock up agian...repeat. Now for the permanent fix. On the side of the rear master there's a plastic elbow held in by a phillips head screw. Remove the elbow. It has an 'o' ring, so wiggle it around a bit and it'll come out. Inside the master there are 2 holes. One you can see thru and one looks like someone started to drill a hole and then stopped. At the bottom of the hole is a very tiny hole that can be overlooked if you don't know it's there. It's plugged, and it's not allowing hot expanded fluid to return up into the reserve. Take a wire tie and strip off the paper..plastic and you should be able to poke it thru the hole and clean it out. Once you feel it's clear bleed the 'h' out of the rear brake, and don't forget to do the same for the left front as they are linked. Do this and you should be good to go and still have a few bucks in your pocket...

OK I removed about 1/3 of the fluid in the rear master resavor. It was tippy toped to the max, no room for expansion.

Now to see if I make it home tonight without locking up the rear calaper.:fingers-crossed-emo

:sick:I got 4 miles from the trolley barn, and the rear was starting to lock up:confused24:I don't remember hitting the rear brake:(.

Had a honey do list to attend to at home,:depressed: neadless to say, I did nothing to the bike, I'll pull the rear master tonight and do a good cleaning:)

Bilko

I carry a 8 mm wrench in the bags so I can bleed these things off if I get caught on the road like that. Clean that thing carefully and you should be good to go. That little hole takes something very fine to get in there. I've had a lot of luck just cleaning them but you might have to replace seals.

I carry a 8 mm wrench in the bags so I can bleed these things off if I get caught on the road like that. Clean that thing carefully and you should be good to go. That little hole takes something very fine to get in there. I've had a lot of luck just cleaning them but you might have to replace seals.

I carry a bag of tools in the bike. Mostly I dont get to use them,:rotf: Yesterday I had an 8 mm in my pocket, "just in case" for the ride home.:cool10:

PS,:( I did get to use it