IGNORED

any airplane hobbyists?

Sideoftheroad

I think Norvel still makes heads that fit. Is COX out of buisness. I started my controling and then moved on to foamies 2 channel. i topped once It got more expensive.

Last i was reading about it was beginnin of this year and read tha some other companies still make or have surpluss.

good luck.

By the way. waht are you flying. CL or radio Control?

With all of the new micro radio gear that is available I was thinking of building a TeeDee .010 powered 3D airplane.

I have to look in "The Box" to see if I still have any parts for an .010.

Cox is still around but since they were bought by Estes they are not what they used to be.

I have always had a fascination with really tiny RC stuff. Which is really weird with my lousy eyesight and polish sausage fingers.

According to wiki as stated before Estes bought out Cox, but Estes stopped production in 2009 and sold off the surplus. Juggler posted one of the sites that bought from Estes (again according to wiki). Do an internet search cox .010

Edited by Sideoftheroad

Some reason I am having a real hard time posting anything. Seems to keep crashing on me. Will try and post what I can.

Cougar and Flyinfool let me know what you find.

Dray I will keep that in my backpocket if Cougar and Flyinfool don't find anything.

muaymendez, growing up I remember them using the term U-control, guess they say line control now or used both terms back then too, not sure. I remember there being a pt-19, a Messerschmitt and something else (Stuka I think). Since they are cleaning house I think they are gone now to the trash can. I think only one was flyable or you may have been able to piece them together to make a complete one.

Edited by Sideoftheroad

The background is basically I was at my parents this weekend and (sadly) they are at a stage in their life that they are cleaning house and preparing us boys for a world without them. Their proposal is simple if you want something, let us know. So I brought home a box full of hobby parts. My dad apparently was quite the hobbyist growing up. He mentioned that he would win awards with some of his balsa wood airplanes. He mentioned 1 in particular that he would use a clear coat type substance (he couldn't remember the name) and apply it to the tissue paper. It would make the tissue paper appear transparent so you can still see the ribs and such.

So in the box were a couple engines and 1 of them was a complete Cox .010. There is one exactly like it on ebay, item # 230660961882. This is brand new never ran. I wanted to see if the glow plug would still light up. I haven't messed w/ these engines in a very long time and unfortunately found out very quickly that 6volts is way too much so I burned out the glow plug. Searched on the internet and found out 1.5v max. :-( Should have been clued in when there are 2 very old 1.5volt hobby batteries in my dad's basement. These are the same shape as the square 6volts.

I will get some pictures together and post them via my photobucket account. I am telling you folks that just guessing most of this stuff is irreplacable and most of it probably hasn't seen daylight in 40+ yrs. Not sure if they are made anymore but there are some engines that are called Spitzy's and says from the famous makers of the Spitfire. Not sure if they are referring to the actual WW2 airplane.

I also brought home a rocket launcher. I remember me and my dad making a rocket together. Ok dad making it and me watching. I am sure I did some of it. The rocket is here at my house somewhere. I tried finding it last night but couldn't. I know it is mostly complete. At least from what I remember the last time I saw it, just needed a parachute, paint and an engine.

My boys are a bit young right now as they tend to destroy what they get, but hoping in the future if they want to get into hobby's we can share this hobby together.

Password is guest1 if it asks for one.

Is the larger engine w/ the prop a .049 as I need a glow plug for it. I think I can get them from my hobby store more easily if it is a .049. Could be wrong.

The rocket launcher is missing parts too. The rod in the middle, the wind indicator and also the top part to the controller. If I want to, I think a new one can be got for cheap.

Believe it or not, but this wasn't all of it. The rest was like the tissue, strings, landing gear, misc. stuff.

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/lylejt/Hobby%20Pics/

Edited by Sideoftheroad

I had the P-19 and the Stuka when I was young. The P-19 had rubber bands to hold the wings on so when it crashed it would fly apart and not break. The Stuka would just break in a crash and it would be repair time. Even with string control they were fun.

Password is guest1 if it asks for one.

Is the larger engine w/ the prop a .049 as I need a glow plug for it. I think I can get them from my hobby store more easily if it is a .049. Could be wrong.

The rocket launcher is missing parts too. The rod in the middle, the wind indicator and also the top part to the controller. If I want to, I think a new one can be got for cheap.

Believe it or not, but this wasn't all of it. The rest was like the tissue, strings, landing gear, misc. stuff.

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/lylejt/Hobby%20Pics/

Yup, 6 volts to a glow plug will make it act more like a flash bulb.

If the plug was on the engine when you did this, make sure none of the pieces of the plug element are still in the engine. Depending on where the piston was the debris can fall all of the way into the crank case. There is no room for wear on that little .010 engine, the piston to bore fit has a tolerance of only .000006 (6 millionths) of an inch. That cute little engine runs at around 30,000 rpm. Yes the number means that the engine has a displacment of 0.010 cubic inches (0.16 cc).

The larger engine with the prop is a Cox .049.

The rod for the rocket launcher is a 1/8 inch Dia x 36 inches long music wire available at any hobby shop, or you can still but the "real" launch rod that has a joint in the middle so that it breaks down into two 18" pieces. The other parts of the launcher are more decoration.

Ah Yes, tissue and Dope. Brings back some foggy memories from a long long time ago.

Some of those engines in the pics may have some good collector value.

I'm still looking thru some old boxes for an 010 plug. I know that I do not have the whole engine anymore. I sold that with the airplane it was mounted on.

The liquid you are reffering to is called DOPE. Dope is still sold in alrge quantities for repair of larger wooden aircraft. Piper cubs and the like. the liquid shrink silk span and create a water barrier. It is hard to find But I was able to find A 5 ounce container of it that is collecting dust on my shelf. I am not sure if i can be shipped because it is flamable although there are no warning labels on it.

You can still buy Aero-Gloss Dope at most hobby shops. A 5 oz bottle at the hobby shop will be less than the cost of shipping it.

I noticed that you had a Jet-X motor too. the fuel pellets may not be good anymore since they are just in a blister pack on paper. but that fairly clean unopened package may have collector value even with the price of $0.60 written with a magic marker.

Side,

A good friend of mine is in to the older stuff. I can put you in touch with him if you don't come up with one. I am sure that he will have what you need. He also likes to buy in case you are interested in selling.

My son and I are heavy in to the hobby with most of our focus on helicopters. Most of our weekends are spent traveling to some event around the country.

I love the time that we share doing it.

Ray

I think it is funny the picture on the box for the launch pad. Notice how close the kid is to that thing. Don't think I want to be that close when it goes up.

flyinfool. I removed the plug before I attached it to the batteries so no worries there. Didn't know about the diameter of the rod, dad did say 3' too. Thanks for the confirmation on the .049. Is the Jet-X for rockets or would they be more for jet type airplanes? I didn't take pictures of them but there are several bottles of dope. Not sure if they have a shelf life.

muaymendez. He said it was it was called something else and it was clear that goes more over paint. I asked if it was clear coat and he said no to that too. Not sure.

rstacy. You will be next on my list if flyinfool doesn't find anything.

Thanks all.

Ray,

Forgot to mention too not wanting to sell at this time since it has sentimental value to me being from my dad. There are a couple boxes w/ nothing but balsa wood blueprints. If I had a way I thought about making copies and seeing if anyone wanted them.

Karl,

There are a couple stuka's on ebay now. Guess if you want vintage you gonna pay for it. The one we had was black. There was a green one. Not sure if it original or just painted.

Edited by Sideoftheroad

Flyinfool and Cougar thanks for looking I do appreciate it.

Flyinfool, I know what you mean. I looked in my hobby box and found some more stuff that I didn't even remember I had. Do you know what the shelf life for fuel would be? Hope you have fun w/ your refound goodies.

Ray, email sent to your friend. Thank you very much.