IGNORED

Shift lever/housing/shaft broken

83 model, bought the bike w/22k, now 33k. Pulled in the clutch (didn't "feel" right) shifted to first, lunged forward. went to shift to second, still in 1st. Housing is broke, hav TIG access, I'm not concerned, as I can weld it back together. I am concerned with the way the shaft "feels"(might be broken) The 437 page pdf manual doesn't really address the transmission shifting shaft. Thinking about purchasing a Clymer manual. Thought I would check with all the Venture Rider wisdom first. Previous owner installed floor boards and heel/toe shifter.:fingers-crossed-emo

It seems several members that have the floorboards on their G1 ventures have had the same issue you are having. Not sure what is causeing it, but it seems like the floorboards angle sets up pressure on a weak point and causes the breakage.

It seems you are going to have to do some disassembly and see what exactly is broken, and maybe analyze on reassembly with pics so we can all see what is going on and maybe try to help you and anyone else avoid this in the future.

Brian

The intermediate/transfer shaft housing is what is broken. We (my students) are in the process of removing the housing so I can GTAW weld it 1G instead of 2G.(welding lingo, 1= flat, 2= horizontal, G= groove). On to the clutch "feel". The pdf "manual" talks about bleeding the clutch. It does not show any bleeder screws, so I assume you loosen the line fittings at the "slave cylinder"or "clutch release"? The pdf "manual" does talk about rebuilding the "slave cylinder" or "clutch release"?

I guess what you're welding is the stator housing. When you get it off you should be able to see the shift rods and check for any other damage. As far as feel goes it may..or not... change. If you have floorboards you probably also have the heel/toe shifter, and it may be applying too much torque with your style shifting??? Bleeding the clutch is done at the slave bleeder valve.

Attached is a picture of the clutch slave out of the bike.

The bleeder is on the long goose neck. this is reachable just rearward of the stator housing on the top side. Normally, there is a small square rubber cover over it.

It can be seen in the second picture just below the leftmost connector that is hanging.

Gary

I/we discovered the bleeder screw & clutch release (slave cylinder) today. The pdf manual acted like they are re-buildable (kit) or do you just replace (if available on a 28 yr old)?

If it's bad replace it..... and yes, they are available...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1599693860/ref=ox_ya_os_product]Amazon.com: Clymer Yamaha Royal Star 1996-2010 (Clymer Motorcycle Repair) (9781599693866): James Grooms, Clymer Staff: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513wOqjXwrL.@@AMEPARAM@@513wOqjXwrL[/ame]