IGNORED

plastic shroud near radiator

Hi, I am taking a compression test, and have removed a plastic shroud, that sits above the front cylinders. Its about a foot long, and has a large diameter hose running thru it allowed by a slit in it. The shroud sits on top of the valve cover bolts, this is an 83 model. Is this shroud necessary to replace or what. It sure complicates taking the left front plug out. I realize that maybe its there to help direct air thru the radiator or whatever, if you can let me know what its purpose is, and if it can be left out, it would be appreciated. My bike has the fairing lowers and side covers left off the bike if that matters.

Edited by yamtom
didnt use all my words

Hi All,

Thanks Dingy, what does that shroud deflect air around and is it important to have it there if your lowers are kept off and its in the way of seeing a lot of things in there. I saw that it sat on the valve cover bolts. I did lift it up, but had a lot of trouble with my sockets, not realizing that I had to use the special yamaha plug socket or honda socket or thinwall whatever socket to remove the front left plug. I read about that after I spent an hour overheating my hands trying to get the last plug out so I could take the comp with the engine hot, so much for that concept. Not to make this a whine or anything, but I have four sockets that fit fine on the rest of the plugs, but that one, no way. I like things simple, very simple, I may have the wrong bike here kuzz plastic shrouds dont offer me much of the motorcycle look. Does it deflect incoming moisture from rain off the plug wires or something?? Anyone else??

I have another question about that little box, that sits just aft of the shroud, and below the battery box. It appears to have four vac lines going into it. My manual shows it as some kind of a collector, is that part of the so called yics system or some kind of gas vapor collector or what. Also, there is a tube that was folded up, just aft of that little box, it came down, and to the front of the engine, and has a small rounded yet oblong case between pieces of the tube, I assume that it is a gas overflow tube since it seemed to smell a bit of gasoline, but maybe its a battery overflow tube. If you can fill me in, and on the importance of any of this stuff being kept on the bike it would be helpful.

I think that the biggest thing that that plastic plat does is to help keep engine heat down below you. But since you have all of the other panels off that used to hold the heat away from you it might not make much of a difference if one more piece is missing. That part MAY also help to keep the TCI less wet. I have relocated my TCI to inside of the left faring with the radio where it will now stay nice and dry.

Hi All,

I have another question about that little box, that sits just aft of the shroud, and below the battery box. It appears to have four vac lines going into it. My manual shows it as some kind of a collector, is that part of the so called yics system or some kind of gas vapor collector or what.

Yes, this is part of the YICS system. My recomendation is to remove it along with the hoses and get some heavy duty plug caps and plug the connections on the heads. I did this many years ago and wish I had done it sooner. Just make sure they are heavy duty caps or they will break or blow off.

RandyA

The two air deflectors on the tops of the valve covers were not on my bike when I bought it but were in a box of items included in the purchase. It took me a year to figure out what they were and how they went on.

When I did my valve cover gaskets I went ahead and put them back on just because I had them.

I'll say this.....They are not needed. They make no difference in the operating temps on the motor as far as I can tell.

BUT..... they do make a differnce in rider comfort. The heat of the engine stays below the rider much more, and I'd say probably affects the temp of the fuel tank a bit also.

With the deflectors on I felt a huge change in the temp of the saddle. Much cooler. I closed off the holes in the side covers also with chrome panels and that directed all the hotter air to behind my legs and feet. A lot more comfortable in the warmer months.

When changing plugs I use a thin wall socket with a swivel and then a long extention. Gets around the deflectors ok and gets the angle right to turn them out.

If you are having issues with getting a bite on one plug you might have some debris or a nut or screw sitting down there in the plug well. Careful that does not drop into the hole when the plug is removed. A look with an inspection mirror and a flash light might be worth it. A lot of stuff can end up in those wells.

:2cents:

Mike

The two air deflectors on the tops of the valve covers were not on my bike when I bought it but were in a box of items included in the purchase. It took me a year to figure out what they were and how they went on.

When I did my valve cover gaskets I went ahead and put them back on just because I had them.

I'll say this.....They are not needed. They make no difference in the operating temps on the motor as far as I can tell.

BUT..... they do make a differnce in rider comfort. The heat of the engine stays below the rider much more, and I'd say probably affects the temp of the fuel tank a bit also.

With the deflectors on I felt a huge change in the temp of the saddle. Much cooler. I closed off the holes in the side covers also with chrome panels and that directed all the hotter air to behind my legs and feet. A lot more comfortable in the warmer months.

When changing plugs I use a thin wall socket with a swivel and then a long extention. Gets around the deflectors ok and gets the angle right to turn them out.

If you are having issues with getting a bite on one plug you might have some debris or a nut or screw sitting down there in the plug well. Careful that does not drop into the hole when the plug is removed. A look with an inspection mirror and a flash light might be worth it. A lot of stuff can end up in those wells.

:2cents:

Mike

Good grief charlie brown....

Air deflectors, closed off side covers, next you will be wanting air conditioning. Grow a set !!

OK, slap me, I'm just kidding.

Yes the scooter is a little warmer when sitting at a light or whatever. But it does look nice. Hopefully this winter I will get plastic painted as bright a yellow as I can find. Canary #800 is a good start.

2nd picture is the hardley view before 2nd gear.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/DSC02369s.jpg

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/DSC02374s.jpg

Hey Gary,

Is that a complete vmax engine or did you bolt some trim on it and paint the rest. I am gonna leave the shroud on the bench for now, prolly will regret it when the temps hit ninetys again next year.

Ive been stymied on the compression test since my tester doesnt have the right adaptor. When I get the adaptor, at least I wont make all the mistakes I made today when doing the job, sheeeesh. It turns out PO had put one champion plug in, and the rest were ngks, little ole me didnt know about the need for diff size wrenches, until I realized that I had a mixed bastage set of plugs. Basically wasted a day running around before my kuzz fortuitously came over and saw what the problem was. I put it back together and am going to find an adaptor now. I made one for honda plugs back in the old days, but cant find it now. Is it possible to take apart an old plug, and use the base of it , put some threads in where the porcelain was and use that for an adaptor like I did in my Honda days? That thing worked quite well for being a hacked plug.

Good grief charlie brown....

Air deflectors, closed off side covers, next you will be wanting air conditioning. Grow a set !!

Gary

Got A/C Gary, I just open the vents. I even got lil air fresheners stuck in them. I smell like ice cream on a hot day. :smile5:

Now with the lamb skin seat cover and a can of Anti Monkey Butt I'm good to go. :big-grin-emoticon:

...I smell like ice cream on a hot day...

So what does ice cream on a hot day smell like? Kinda sour & spoiled? :rotf:

What does the deflector look like? Anyone have a pic of it, maybe uninstalled? I don't think I have one on my '83 (PO really messed/chopped up my bike), but I do have the YICS stuff still attached (gonna remove it tho). I want to remove/modify the side panels like dingy & venturous have done, but I don't want extra hot air blowing on me.

Thanks,

-Andrew

Hi, The shroud sits directly over the valve covers in the front, it is heavier black plastic, maybe three steenths inch thick, ten inches front to back, it has a triangular look when looking at it from the sides, a coolant hose large, runs thru it and its split along the length of it so it can be put in from the right side of the bike and fitted around the large coolant hose. Its prolly fifteen inches long , and just sits loosly sp atop the front valve cover bolts. If you want a pic, I will try to get you one tonight, will need your email addy since I dont know how to put a pic on this site. Send it to private message.

Edited by yamtom
didnt use all my words

The shrouds purpose seems to be to direct a thin layer of air right across the valve covers, and if I remember it opens up at the back side of the front head. Then restart on the rear head.

Attached are a few pictures of them and the YCIS baffle. It is extra weight, get rid of it.

Your not going to fry your tush off if these shrouds go away.

As far as my motor, it is a lower end out of a 88 Venture 1300cc, VMaxs never came with a 1300, better pistons in the VMaxs though. This block has been modified by milling .040" at head face surface, raised compression from about 10.5:1 to about 12.2:1. Also completely rebuilt, every rubber item replaced this winter in it. The top end from the air cleaner all through to the heads is stock VMax. The carbs are off a Venture but have been rebuilt with VMax jetting & choke linkages, 35mm mikunis. The VMax emblem below the carbs is after market.

As far as appearance, it has about 2 cans of elbow grease in it to look like that.

Gary